College Football Smack Talk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would it be another decade away ? They have complete team turnover about every 3 years so what is magic about a decade?
The decade is the time will take to replace Grinch, hire a new coach and start getting SEC recruits in….. Grinch‘s speed D isn’t working ….you call it Speed D when all you can recruit is the mid tier small players that happen to look fast on the field…LOL. Grinch has his recruits Andy the defense sucks as bad as it ever has.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone thinks the last game is who a team really is. OU clearly did not play like a #2 team yesterday, but they typically start slow every season. At least they hung on to win. The offensive line mostly needs to be a lot better, and they have plenty of talent, may just need to gel. Some of yesterday's defensive "starters" may not be starters for long. The team you see next week, or even more likely in 3-4 weeks may not look at all like yesterday.

If that's really who they are, then yeah they'll lose 4-5 games. But I would bet that won't happen. They'll probably drop at least one over the course of the season, but don't assume yesterday defines who they are. One game does not make a season, and there are a lot of variables... including attitude and preparation.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone thinks the last game is who a team really is. OU clearly did not play like a #2 team yesterday, but they typically start slow every season. At least they hung on to win. The offensive line mostly needs to be a lot better, and they have plenty of talent, may just need to gel. Some of yesterday's defensive "starters" may not be starters for long. The team you see next week, or even more likely in 3-4 weeks may not look at all like yesterday.

If that's really who they are, then yeah they'll lose 4-5 games. But I would bet that won't happen. They'll probably drop at least one over the course of the season, but don't assume yesterday defines who they are. One game does not make a season, and there are a lot of variables... including attitude and preparation.

I agree they start slow and maybe Tulane is better than people think….but they wont be able to start slow in the SEC and still stay in the hunt for the playoffs. Alabama didn’t start slow, Georgia didn’t start slow and neither did Clemson for that matter but then again all of those teams have an actual defense.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree they start slow and maybe Tulane is better than people think….but they wont be able to start slow in the SEC and still stay in the hunt for the playoffs. Alabama didn’t start slow, Georgia didn’t start slow and neither did Clemson for that matter but then again all of those teams have an actual defense.
I think you missed my main point. If you've watched football very much, you've seen a team come out one week and look like they couldn't beat a jr. varsity team. Then a week later, they completely destroy a different team. I'm not going to worry about the SEC until we are actually playing in the SEC, but this game yesterday does not mean that OU is hopeless for the rest of the season. It's one game, there could be a lot of reasons why OU didn't win more convincingly than they did. It doesn't necessarily mean they won't look better against better teams than Tulane.

They primarily need to get better on the OL, and to some extent on DL. Didn't particularly show well in the trenches.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you missed my main point. If you've watched football very much, you've seen a team come out one week and look like they couldn't beat a jr. varsity team. Then a week later, they completely destroy a different team. I'm not going to worry about the SEC until we are actually playing in the SEC, but this game yesterday does not mean that OU is hopeless for the rest of the season. It's one game, there could be a lot of reasons why OU didn't win more convincingly than they did. It doesn't necessarily mean they won't look better against better teams than Tulane.

They primarily need to get better on the OL, and to some extent on DL. Didn't particularly show well in the trenches.
I don’t know if you watched the game or know much about football, but in reality Tulane is a decent team they have been to 3 bowl games since Fritz took over and were just a few onetime losses away from 9 win seasons. The OL will always be good as long as Bedenbaugh is there, the DL didn’t perform to poorly either the secondary …….well it was terrible worse than lest year. The point I am making is this happens more often than we like to admin…but you know where it doesn’t happen? The top tier teams It’s sad to say but Saban is so far ahead of everyone for the last decade that I actually beginning to think he’s made a deal with the Devil. It cleat to me that if you want to build a defense look at Alabama , Georgia, Clemson oh wait we had a Clemson style defense lol! I think its painfully obvious you are either Elite or You’re NOT!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The decade is the time will take to replace Grinch, hire a new coach and start getting SEC recruits in….. Grinch‘s speed D isn’t working ….you call it Speed D when all you can recruit is the mid tier small players that happen to look fast on the field…LOL. Grinch has his recruits Andy the defense sucks as bad as it ever has.

It's the same stuff every year, you believe everyone should be fired and the grass is always greener. BTW, you obviously haven't been keeping tabs on the recruiting class.

Attachments

• Typical sports fan.jpg
    Typical sports fan.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 29

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the same stuff every year, you believe everyone should be fired and the grass is always greener. BTW, you obviously haven't been keeping tabs on the recruiting class.
I‘ve kept tabs on the recruiting class, still have to prove they can put together more that a mediocre defesne. And you lower you voice when you speak to me JD8 I cant stand you not even a little……neve have and never will care about your input.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know if you watched the game or know much about football, but in reality Tulane is a decent team they have been to 3 bowl games since Fritz took over and were just a few onetime losses away from 9 win seasons. The OL will always be good as long as Bedenbaugh is there, the DL didn’t perform to poorly either the secondary …….well it was terrible worse than lest year. The point I am making is this happens more often than we like to admin…but you know where it doesn’t happen? The top tier teams It’s sad to say but Saban is so far ahead of everyone for the last decade that I actually beginning to think he’s made a deal with the Devil. It cleat to me that if you want to build a defense look at Alabama , Georgia, Clemson oh wait we had a Clemson style defense lol! I think its painfully obvious you are either Elite or You’re NOT!
So Tulane is terrible and if OU were any good, they would have won by more than 5 points? Or Tulane is actually pretty good, and OU didn't play that badly? If you'll settle on an argument, I can figure out if I agree or disagree with you. :rollingla

If your point is just that Alabama is a great team and Saban has been a very successful coach, then point taken. I got no problem wit dat statement.

If you're talking specifically about the defense, they played well parts of the game and not so well other parts. I doubt Grinch is anywhere close to being fired, odds are way higher that he will be hired away as a head coach in the next year or two than that OU will ever fire him.

If your point is just to bash OU, then carry on. They didn't play as well Saturday as they probably should have. Doesn't mean they won't play well next week or any game the rest of the season. The OL in particular needs to be better... they did lose a center from last season that will start for the KC Chiefs Sunday, so there's that... they may need another week or two to gel as a unit.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I‘ve kept tabs on the recruiting class, still have to prove they can put together more that a mediocre defesne. And you lower you voice when you speak to me JD8 I cant stand you not even a little……neve have and never will care about your input.

Not even a little? If you don't care about my input, you should prove it by stop replying to me. Either way, you pull the same BS every year, you ***** and moan and call for coaches to be fired, then go silent when they win.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OU started off 1-2 last year so being 1-0 is an improvement! Army took OU to overtime in Norman a couple years ago. OU always starts off slow and then picks up stream for some reason. Riley needs to get that figured out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom