Colorado High Capacity Magazine Ban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to be traveling to Wyoming through Colorado with an AR and several 30 round magazines, as well as handgun mags that hold more than 15 rounds. We should be ok on the way there, but will be traveling through after 1 July (after the ban takes effect). I wonder if I should avoid going through Colorado on the way back, or not worry about it. What do you think?

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even obeying every travel law while in the state, there's always that chance. They'll either throw the book at you, or understand and let you pass. Then again, you can always flat rate ship the mags USPS with tracking for $15 back home.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be similar to CA law(but i could be wrong so don't trust my word, do your own research)....where as you cannot buy/manufacture/posses high capacity magazines(they must be "blocked" to 10 rounds when assembled) but it is completely legal to to buy/posses "magazine rebuild kits". Basically, you disassemble them so that the spring is out and they cannot be loaded. Then re-assemble when you are back in a "freer" region of america. If you feel you might have a need to use your firearms, bring a couple 10 rounders with you that you can quickly load or insert when necessary.

JMP308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let cali-rado figure how to make tourist want to come there ,all sportsmen should boycott them go to nm,wyoming ,montana ect ect or any non commie state ,lots of elk, and moose in other states

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually the City of Denver already has a ban on anything over 15 rounds and has had it for years. The law is screwy so be careful. The law only applies to Denver residents but like all things it could go south fast. Google it and you will see it’s best to avoid Denver if you are carrying an AR with standard capacity mags.

Assuming you are taking I-70 to I-25 on up to Wyoming that puts you right there. Personally, I’d just top of the fuel tank in Limon and go the speed limit through Denver without stopping. I have a personal rule that if the trip is more than 100 miles the AR goes in the trunk so I can certainly see not wanting to leave your gear at home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom