Colt ar15 a2 preban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to have a Colt like that, triangle handguard, pencil barrel...I had a very early SP1 years ago but it was stolen, I've wanted to replace it ever since. Post up pics! I would love to see it!

No way I'd do anything permanent to it.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So it had the three round burst and dial elevation knob under the rear aperture sight, but had the thin barrel and triangle hand guards?

Mine didnt. Safe, semi, auto. Had the "L" flip type peep and a small thin disc for windage. Had to use bullet point to adjust. Had fixed carry handle with small hole for mounting scope/starlight.

The 3 round burst came later, late 80s. ***edit*** well ive learned alot. We didnt go from A1 to A2 to A3....there were tons of progressions between each model. Lotsa varibles including what BN or even what Company.

Last edited:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You had an A1, brother.

Nope....but id like to thank you for asking questions lol. I spent all night reading n researching. Till bout 4am. Thanks bud.

Turns out what I probably had and used was a transition M16A2. Something else, mine had no brass deflector. During my time, I used the A1, "A2" and even a A2HBAR most likely another varient.

Sometime today ill see if I can dig thru a few pics. Most are Polaroids or 110 pics so kinda crappy.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never seen an A2 with A1 triangle hand guards as an original component before. Was this something done on the civvy side or something?
I can still remember the first permanent party station I was at getting the replacement A2 hand guards in to swap out those horrendous triangle pinch-o-matics.

lmao. pinch-o-matic. I haven't heard that before

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, what A2 attributes did it have? So far, everything you have described is an A1 attribute except the forward assist shape.
Im not saying your wrong on this, but i would really love to see the A2 roll mark on what sounds like an A1 gun. Dont get me wrong, i saw some strange pieced together guns in the armory when i was in, but nothing like you are describing.

Only thing i can come up with is an A2 lower, with A1 internals for full auto instead of 3 round burst on an A1 upper. No doubt in my military mind that upper is an A1. All A2 uppers had the updated rear sight, brass deflector and a heavier profile barrel as well as a 1-7 twist.

My bet is the original lower was damaged or out of spec at some point and was replaced with an A2 lower while retaining the remainder of the parts.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, what A2 attributes did it have? So far, everything you have described is an A1 attribute except the forward assist shape.
Im not saying your wrong on this, but i would really love to see the A2 roll mark on what sounds like an A1 gun. Dont get me wrong, i saw some strange pieced together guns in the armory when i was in, but nothing like you are describing.

Thats kinda what im getting at. There wasnt many. Im trying to remember little things. And it is possible I was taught some was an A2 but it wasnt. I was 11B, ive shot A1s A2s, CAR types, HBAR types. I spent almost my entire time at SOA at Ft Benning with a trip or 3 down south. So anything possible. At the time I never knew bout roll marks or even who made them, just keep em clean n working.

Latest posts

Top Bottom