Colt Combat Commander .38 Super

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally found the gun I've been lusting after for years. Colt light wieght combat commander in .38 super. Now I'm looking for advice and tips for making this fine gun even better. What type of ammo,reloading info etc. I was checking out the factory ammo and found that the +P was the most common will this stuff be to hard on the alloy,I mean Coltalloy frame? Again any info will be apprieceated.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take it to a gunsmith that specializes in 1911 work. There are several members on the board here who come highly recommended. Have them look it over for you. They should be able to offer some advice on what if anything needs to be done for reliability and longevity.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations on your find....the 38 super plus P in factory loadings runs about 36,500 psi (or is it cup Units?), a pretty mundane loading considering what the "IPSC" guys reload. The pistol can stand +P without any problems, especially with the proper springing.
However, I am not sure if Colt lightened the slide on the Super like they did on the .45acp Commander version with the aluminum frame. If they did you need to check the inside of the slide where the breech face is milled for the ejector slot to see if there is a hairline crack in the slide. If not you are okay...if there is a crack it would be difficult to drill and weld and re-mill so a new slide would be in order. Just something you should check now before investing a bunch in the gun and then finding out:(.

Barry

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took some good advice and spent a little quality time with Dr. Greyson. I came away from our meeting with a lot of great info and hopefully a new friend. I feel like now I can make a plan for takeing a good gun and improveing it as time and funds allow. Thanks Barry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom