Colt price check...aisle 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Local shop has a colt detective special snubbie for $499.....lockup is super tight and its in decent shape as far as bluing.

looks about the same condition as this one thats BIN for $700 on GB

Attachments

• pix603699000.jpg
    pix603699000.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 190

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of '49s and they are the round butt design but I'm not sure when Colt switched to that. The one at the pawnshop is probably an early model, which would be pretty cool. I think the first official year of the DS was '27.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like a good price if it's in good shape and unmolested. Especially for an early one. I have one, but it's the later model with the shrouded ejector rod. Check the action out good. It's getting hard to find a 'smith these days that know Colt internals, so you could get upside down real quick if it has to have work.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Check the year by serial number at proofhouse.com. The DS in the pic is an older square butt.

Its a transitional 2nd Gen. Still having the full grip frame, but showing the 1/4 moon front sight. Your only option for grip ajustment is one off custom or using a Tyler T-grip. The full 2nd Gen has the shorter grip frame allowing for all the modern grips out there now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom