Combo Holster Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to carry a 1911 IWB, a J frame revolver in a pocket and an extra mag (or two for the 1911). I don't want to wear a cover garment. I typically wear slacks and a button up or polo shirt. I am now carrying the 1911 in an Mtac IWB Tuckable which I really like and the J frame in an Uncle Mike's Pocket holster that I don't. The spare mag goes either in a front pocket loose or the left rear loose. Both of those options are not good because the thing moves around and can pick up lint.

I have seen a few pocket holsters that are made for guns like the LCP or Keltec which have a slot for an extra mag. That intrigues me as you would think that you could do the same thing with the J frame and the 1911 mag.

I have also seen a holster from DMBullard called their Texas Conceal Carry which is IWB, can be tuckable and has a single mag carrier built in. It looks just about perfect except it appears not to have any cant (which I need) plus the mag carrier is on the strong side which isn't ideal.

I have looked at single mag carriers meant to be used in a pocket but the ones with wings wouldn't fit in the same pocket with the revolver in a holster. The ones without wings look like they would just flop around like the mag by itself does. Has anyone tried one of the carriers with the wings in a rear pocket? How does that work out?

I know I could carry the mag(s) in an IWB carrier on the weak side, and I purchased one like that to try. But it's just not very comfortable. Plus it'd be slow.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice or recommendations of leather companies you think might have a solution(s).

Thanks.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the need to be prepared in all, and at the risk of getting boo'd out of town, isn't ~13 rounds good enough? Statistically speaking, you're not going to get off more than maybe 3-4 rounds (per person?) before it's all over.

A spare mag is for resolving Murphy's law. I've been known to have 50 on me, but usually just 24.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the need to be prepared in all, and at the risk of getting boo'd out of town, isn't ~13 rounds good enough? Statistically speaking, you're not going to get off more than maybe 3-4 rounds (per person?) before it's all over.

A spare mag is not meant to hold off the hordes in my opinion. However, it is there in case the first mag fails. It's much easier to drop the mag and put in a new one over trying to figure out why the first one stopped and how to fix it.

I always carry a S&W J-frame. It still gets carried even when I'm carrying another pistol or rifle. A second gun is faster and easier than trying to fix your primary in the middle of something bad.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why mess with a second mag if you are carrying a backup? Isn't that the point of the back up? Usually it's a wheel gun(old faithful) that you all would trust your life with over anything else. So, if your primary fails, than wouldn't you be better off going for your backup, than to drop one and slap in another? I don't carry a backup, but i also dont carry a spare unless I am going to Tinseltown theatre. I rotate my mags every 2 weeks and clean them and check my springs every other time I clean my firearm. I have 5-6 mags per firearm so they get used every2 1/2 to 3 months for 2 weeks at a time. My chances of failure due to mags is pretty slim IMOA.

But in regards to your question. You might call any number of manufacturers of pocket holsters and ask them to make one custom for you that holds your J-frame and a 1911 mag. Also Luppert Leather in Oklahoma city makes custom holsters and you could go in to there location and talk to the maker and see what they could come up with.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why mess with a second mag if you are carrying a backup? Isn't that the point of the back up? Usually it's a wheel gun(old faithful) that you all would trust your life with over anything else. So, if your primary fails, than wouldn't you be better off going for your backup, than to drop one and slap in another? I don't carry a backup, but i also dont carry a spare unless I am going to Tinseltown theatre. I rotate my mags every 2 weeks and clean them and check my springs every other time I clean my firearm. I have 5-6 mags per firearm so they get used every2 1/2 to 3 months for 2 weeks at a time. My chances of failure due to mags is pretty slim IMOA.

Yeah, but how hard is it to carry a second mag? Not that big. Not that heavy. Isn't it worth it? Anything that might improve my chances even slightly without being too far off the path would be worth it in my mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom