Conceal in front of my home.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may have been asked before but I live in a townhouse which is ofcourse attached to a few other. I have the habit of carrying my gun out when I smoke in front of my townhouse. I usually stay right in front of my door (leaning against it). Is this illegal? If not, how far can I go with it before it's wrong. Personally I'm standing right in front of my door so I would consider it my property but it is a townhouse owned by the apartment complex so I suppose once I step out of the door it's no longer my property. Any advice? I live in a pretty bad neighborhood and like tonight, I asked someone to turn their car music down so they didn't wake up my baby, and he walked off throwing me the finger and taking his shirt off while staring at me. Was kind of funny but what if I'm smoking later and he decides to start stuff? Do I just go out with my knife or run inside and hope he doesn't follow? Would move out of here if I could afford it. :(

Forgot to mention. I do NOT have a CCL just yet. I should attend the class soon.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm assuming you don't have an SDA permit? When you walk outside, you're in public. If you're smoking right outside your door and someone approaches you, just walk in and close the door. I don't see why it would be an issue to have a handgun strategically placed just inside the door.

Better yet, get your SDA permit and worry no more. :)

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can't open carry or conceal carry on your own property?

Pierce v State is the relevant case law there.

Pierce was arrested and convicted for having a revolver in his waistband while walking around his property.
Of course. this was many, many years ago, but they still cite it today and test against it.
The court decided that "Self defense" was not a legitimate reason to carry a gun.

The SDA provides exemptions to Pierce v State

Latest posts

Top Bottom