Concealed Carry permit holder kills family of 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockedandLoaded

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/4-slain-ohio-suspect-dies-police-shootout/

WEST UNION, Ohio – An 8-year-old girl apparently slept through the fatal shootings of four family members, then awoke and alerted a neighbor that something horrible had happened overnight, pointing investigators to the rural home, where they found a television in her bedroom still playing cartoons.

A short time later, nearly 100 miles away, one of the girl's relatives was killed in a shootout with police, who didn't know then that he was suspected in the quadruple homicide.

Randle Lee Roberts II died in the shootout in Columbus on Saturday about an hour after the girl went out the back door of her pale blue, one-floor modular house and ran to a neighbor's home.

The neighbor called authorities, who were stunned by what they found at the girl's home, situated along a two-lane highway amid rolling green hills just outside West Union, about 90 miles southeast of Columbus.

When authorities arrived, Adams County Sheriff Kim Rogers said, cartoons were playing on a TV in the girl's room -- where Roberts had been staying for several months, apparently because he was a burglary suspect and there were warrants for him in the Columbus area. Court records show Roberts, 27, faced felony charges of burglary and receiving stolen property late last year and failed to appear in court.

Investigators learned Roberts had told the girl Friday night she could sleep in her own room and he'd take the couch instead.

"We were unaware he was here," Rogers said. "I don't know what set him off."

The neighbors hadn't heard anything, and there were no signs of a struggle, the sheriff said. The girl's 34-year-old mother, Kendra Stephens, and 11-year-old sister, Harley, were found in one bedroom. The door to a second bedroom was locked, so authorities broke through a window to find 46-year-old Sonja Stephens dead in bed.

In the living room, upright in a chair, they found 68-year-old George Stephens, grandfather of Roberts' wife. Authorities are trying to clarify how the others are related.

Investigators believe they were shot with a semiautomatic weapon but still are evaluating evidence. Roberts had a concealed-carry permit from Franklin County that had expired in January, authorities said.

Neighbor Karen Kimmerly, whose children rode the bus with the Stephens girls, said the killings were a shock to the rural southern Ohio community, which she compared to the idyllic small town on "The Andy Griffith Show."

"I consider this like a :nono2:Mayberry town," she said. "This should be a sanctuary."

People coming out of a Sunday service at Bible Baptist Church, across the street from the Stephens' home, conveyed a feeling of reverence and turned grim-faced when asked about what happened. Several said it wasn't appropriate to discuss such things on a Sunday.

Investigators interviewing neighbors had quickly learned Saturday that Roberts had stayed at the home but that he was from Columbus and that his wife worked in that area, so they called police there.

"At that point, they didn't know we were looking for him, and we didn't know he was involved in a shootout," Rogers said.

As Adams County authorities were beginning their investigation, police in Columbus had responded to two calls about shots fired into homes and ended up pursuing a vehicle driven by Roberts. He crashed the two-tone pickup truck in a residential area, fired at the officer chasing him and ran off, evading authorities for more than 10 minutes before a shootout erupted at about 11 a.m., police Sgt. Rich Weiner said.

Roberts had tattoos that helped authorities in both areas confirm they were talking about the same man.

Three officers were shot in the exchange and were treated for injuries that weren't life-threatening.

Another man who was shot also was hospitalized with injuries that weren't life-threatening. Police said the man was related to Roberts but didn't say how. He wasn't charged.

An autopsy for Roberts is planned this week, and autopsies on the four members of the Stephens family are expected to be done by Monday.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It never fails to amaze me! How come you never see the headlines like this,"Registered Life Long Democrat shoots family of 4."? Any link that can possibly be made to what those liberal rag associations refer to as the "Gun Culture" will be exploited to the fullest extent possible. In their never ending attempt to poison the public perception of guns and gun owners we are pumped up the wazoo with this pablum. How about "Man with middle name is suspect in the killing of 4 people". Don't take my reply here in the wrong way as I do believe that it is a travesty when innocent people are purposely killed. I just get so tired of the skewed viewpoint of the media, and lately it seems to be all of the media.

okmic1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It never fails to amaze me! How come you never see the headlines like this,"Registered Life Long Democrat shoots family of 4."? Any link that can possibly be made to what those liberal rag associations refer to as the "Gun Culture" will be exploited to the fullest extent possible. In their never ending attempt to poison the public perception of guns and gun owners we are pumped up the wazoo with this pablum. How about "Man with middle name is suspect in the killing of 4 people". Don't take my reply here in the wrong way as I do believe that it is a travesty when innocent people are purposely killed. I just get so tired of the skewed viewpoint of the media, and lately it seems to be all of the media.

To be fair, the permit isn't mentioned in the article's headline. It's actually mentioned in the middle of the story. It also mentions that it was expired. I'd rather have journalist that mention everything, instead of only the parts that fit's their "story".

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure this will be used by the anti's. But just as either side will use bits and pieces to try to sway the sheep, you have to actually think about it for yourself. 1. CCW was expired, CCW may have been revoked, and if it hadn't been it should have been since he had warrants, hopefully at worst it would not have been renewed for the same reason it should have been revoked. 2. Did he use the gun as it pertains to him having a CCW, was he carrying a concealed gun around and just snap and start killing? No, he was essentially at "home" or where he called it. So if he had a gun he was going to have access to it whether he was carrying or not. 3. To me it sounds as though he was a criminal to begin with. Having warrants and hiding out at this house to avoid being arrested shows this. So I really doubt if he was going to have a gun or carry a concealed gun it would have mattered if he had a permit or not.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
paint permit holders as potentially violent people....really....people say.. the darndest things
Reminds me of the story of the Sheriff and the Elderly lady at Church.....Lady if it wasnt dangerous..I wouldnt be carrying it

Last edited:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fail to see what having a concealed carry permit has to do with anything. He was facing felony burglary charges, had warrants, and suspected of accepting stolen property.

What I see is a potentially (now proven) violent criminal that happened to have a permit. The mention of it simply serves to paint permit holders as potentially violent people.

Actually, if you think about it ANY PERSON is a potentially violent person. Seems like a bit of a stretch to think that just because someone has been issued a conceal carry permit that all of a sudden they are not capable of violence. (Believe it or not my JBT husband disagrees vehemently with me on this. He thinks if you have a CCL you are "one of the good guys". I, however, believe that all people are capable of unspeakable acts, even your Auntie Helen. Some people just have the bar set a little lower than others, that's all.)

Sad story.

Yep.

Latest posts

Top Bottom