Concealed Carry Questions for a newby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the general Oklahoma location doesn't help. Lot's of folks on here are friendly and looking for an excuse to go shoot and meet new people. Maybe a looking to try would anyone meet me to trythis or that if they have one. If you are in Tulsa check with 2A shooting center, Eric might have one or both of those.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will also want to decide on whether you want a FBI cant to your holster or a straight drop.

FBI tends to be more comfortable on a daily basis, and I find that I draw from either style equally well.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will also want to decide on whether you want a FBI cant to your holster or a straight drop.

FBI tends to be more comfortable on a daily basis, and I find that I draw from either style equally well.

FWIW, you can get holsters with different cants besides 0 and 15 degrees... I very much prefer holsters that have options.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna say one thing about compact guns like the Shield or XDS. They really suck to hit fast reloads with, your strong side support hand often prevents the mag from dropping free, you might as well get used to stripping the empty when training with it..
what exactly is a strong side support hand?niether my wife or myself have any problem with mags not dropping free with the m&p shield and i have large hands

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 is 1 , 1 is none
Nobody said it was going to be comfortable!
You can try to save $$ by asking ?? but you will probably end up with a box-o-holsters and a safe full of guns...Good Luck
Prepare your mind just as you do your hand, you will need them both equally

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are both looking for carry guns. At least that is my current thinking. I have a 4.25" 1911. I am assuming it will be a lot of gun to carry, especially in the warmer months with lighter clothing. Am I on track with my thinking? Or will the 1911 disappear in a good IWB holster? With shorts and a polo shirt?Thanks in advance!

Open carry that 1911. Don't worry about making it disappear.

A good holster and belt will carry that 1911 so well (even a full sized 5" one) that you won't even notice it is on your hip.

Problem solved. Wasn't that easy.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a 4" 1911 when not at work. I mostly carry OWB with shorts or jeans, with almost any shirt thrown over. Occasionally I'll carry IWB, strong side, with jeans or shorts. It's definitely more comfy OWB. My Safariland is a paddle/belt holster but I much prefer the paddle option. It's all personal preference. Even though its one of the lighter 1911s, weight was an issue at first but I got used to it quickly. It weighs the same as but conceals better than my Sigma 9mm, which I seldom carry.

My wife carries a LC9. She carries mostly IWB with jeans, shorts, and even yoga pants and with a variety of shirts both tight and loose fitting.. Sometimes she'll carry OWB but not often.

My OWB holster is a Safariland with a cool thumb retention. My IWB is a desantis Tuck This II.

My wife's IWB is also a desantis Tuck This II. Her other holster is a combo I/OWB but I don't know the brand. It was not expensive and it's pink, that's all I know. Lol

There's a major weight difference between the two. I've carried the LC9 quite a few times and you quickly forget it's there. But it's not a 45 lol. Ive carried it with the tuck this holster wearing business casual. It allows you to wear it IWB and tuck your shirt in. It's very natural looking. I can not do that with my 45 in business casual. It's still too much gun even with the tuck this holster. My wife wants a SP101 and when I get that for her, I'll carry the LC9 to work every day and the 1911 for after work outings.

Good luck!!!

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PS..as I found out, holster hunting is not a one and done affair. You will and SHOULD try out a few or more holsters and different draw options.
I've bought all mine on eBay and then resold them if I didn't like them. I've never lost money on a holster when I resold it. It took me a few months to pick a few winners and now I'm set.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Open carry that 1911. Don't worry about making it disappear.

A good holster and belt will carry that 1911 so well (even a full sized 5" one) that you won't even notice it is on your hip.

Problem solved. Wasn't that easy.

Too easy for most on this forum. :)

Since I'm a few stones short of qualifying for FGST membership, trying to CC my compact .45 is a hassle. With the advent of OC, I can now carry the caliber designed by God himself...

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a 4" 1911 when not at work. I mostly carry OWB with shorts or jeans, with almost any shirt thrown over. Occasionally I'll carry IWB, strong side, with jeans or shorts. It's definitely more comfy OWB. My Safariland is a paddle/belt holster but I much prefer the paddle option. It's all personal preference. Even though its one of the lighter 1911s, weight was an issue at first but I got used to it quickly. It weighs the same as but conceals better than my Sigma 9mm, which I seldom carry.

My wife carries a LC9. She carries mostly IWB with jeans, shorts, and even yoga pants and with a variety of shirts both tight and loose fitting.. Sometimes she'll carry OWB but not often.

My OWB holster is a Safariland with a cool thumb retention. My IWB is a desantis Tuck This II.

My wife's IWB is also a desantis Tuck This II. Her other holster is a combo I/OWB but I don't know the brand. It was not expensive and it's pink, that's all I know. Lol

There's a major weight difference between the two. I've carried the LC9 quite a few times and you quickly forget it's there. But it's not a 45 lol. Ive carried it with the tuck this holster wearing business casual. It allows you to wear it IWB and tuck your shirt in. It's very natural looking. I can not do that with my 45 in business casual. It's still too much gun even with the tuck this holster. My wife wants a SP101 and when I get that for her, I'll carry the LC9 to work every day and the 1911 for after work outings.

Good luck!!!
Try the Crossbreed and the Comptac,MTAC ,they have more adjustment ,I'm 6' 220# and I can make a 4" 1911 disappear.
Caution on carrying two different platforms, the presentation is different .
When I change from a Glock to a 1911 , I practice for at least a week before I change (gun cleaning time, I wont carry one untill its had 50 rounds after cleaning...just me!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom