Concrete guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I set some piers for deck posts using construction tubes. The tubes/piers are about 18 inches setting gravel.

This site https://www.quora.com/How-much-wate...ause you don't say,don't like the consistency.

..said to use 1/2 gallon water.

Sakrete said to use 2 1/2 quarts.

I'm a pint short in each tube according to sakrete. Even though when I clumped a handful of mixed product, it looked like it should (according to the youtube vid).

Will it still cure?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never mixed concrete dry enough to clump, but I've seen it in videos. If it's moist but not wet, it should set fine so long as it stays moist. The longer it stays moist, the stronger and longer the conrete bonds will be. I'd tape a bag over each of em

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Concrete can be poured "wet" or "dry". For your application, Your OK with either recipe. Just get it mixed throughly.
Sacrete wants you to pour it wet so it finishes easier for applications like a sidewalk or something.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Never mixed concrete dry enough to clump, but I've seen it in videos. If it's moist but not wet, it should set fine so long as it stays moist. The longer it stays moist, the stronger and longer the conrete bonds will be. I'd tape a bag over each of em
They're in these tubes. In the ground. Plus they're in the shade. They're not evaporating much.

sakrete-concrete-forms-65470075-64_1000.jpg

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure you mound the concrete on the top of the form to keep water running away from the posts you set. If not, the water will set around the posts and and create rot causing them to fail early, but I see you have already set them. Not too late to go in there with drilling some holes, and putting a little wire or something into what you have already poured and mix up some "dry" to make the mound. The wire will reinforce it.
Edit: I have a friend that is in the privacy fence business for 30 some years.
He loves seeing the posts, wood or steel set in concrete with a concave base that collects water. He makes a lot of money replacing them.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend in construction once that told me concrete cured in water will be the strongest... So based on that comment, cement cured in open air would be weaker.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend in construction once that told me concrete cured in water will be the strongest... So based on that comment, cement cured in open air would be weaker.
If you find a new lake with trees all over it, after a few years the trees all break off right at the normal water level because the trees above the water are getting much more oxygen that causes them to rot at that level.
What I didn't mention is that I coated the posts in my 30 year old deck below ground with roofing tar so they wouldn't absorb water if the concrete cracked below the soil surface. Especially the end grain.
Buddy in the privacy fence business also told me about this trick. He offers it to his customers as an add on. Most don't take it. He is happy knowing he will be back in a few years to replace the posts.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you find a new lake with trees all over it, after a few years the trees all break off right at the normal water level because the trees above the water are getting much more oxygen that causes them to rot at that level.
What I didn't mention is that I coated the posts in my 30 year old deck below ground with roofing tar so they wouldn't absorb water if the concrete cracked below the soil surface. Especially the end grain.
Buddy in the privacy fence business also told me about this trick. He offers it to his customers as an add on. Most don't take it. He is happy knowing he will be back in a few years to replace the posts.

We used to drill small holes to the middle of the post and pour in a little used motor oil each year. 40 year old fenceposts buried three feet in sand. Held up really well over the years. Sold the family farm, new owners put in steel h-braces and t posts. Doesn't have the same charm driving by these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom