Concurrent Seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going out to check on an area on public land here in a few days. I'm not really planning on actually hunting, but I will have my bow, because I figure a deer will come try to get a piggy-back ride if I'm not carrying it. My brother, who does not have a deer tag or a bow, would like to come with me to try and bag a squirrel or rabbit. He'll have a 22, using sub-sonic ammo that doesn't make any noise beyond the firing pin clicking, so it shouldn't be a bother to other hunters. I did forewarn him that archery hunters aren't in orange, so be especially careful of his backstop. Is this legal or is he going to piss off a game warden for being out during deer archery season with a mighty 22?

looking at the regs, I think he'll be okay under the following (page 19 of the 2014 regs)

Firearms Restriction:
No person may carry or use any firearm in conjunction with archery equipment during the archery season while hunting deer, except under provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and the Oklahoma Firearms Act.

Hunters are allowed to carry both archery equipment and a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season provided they have the appropriate licenses and follow other muzzleloader season regulations.

Hunters also are allowed to carry both archery equipment and legal firearms during any modern gun season, again provided they have the appropriate licenses and follow other regulations to participate in those seasons.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you are carrying a bow in the woods during bow hunting season, you need to make sure you have a tag, regardless of your intention. If you don't want to buy a tag, don't carry your bow.

If you carry your bow and have a tag, no one in the part can carry ANY firearm. period as you fall under the first sentence of your quote. That means no buddies with a 22 palling around.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
so what does the last part reference then?

ETA: Also, the first sentence specifically names a "Person ... while hunting deer," I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see how that includes a party. In addition, the other person has no deer tag and is pursuing small game with a weapon that is never legal to use on deer. If being considered a party is the exclusion, what constitutes a party? Can I talk to someone that is hunting rabbits (with a firearm) during deer season or will that be a violation of the law?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The last sentence is talking about legal means of taking during multiple seasons. And it doesn't a "a person" it says "NO person" which is very different.

i.e. just because muzzleloader season has stared doesn't mean you can't use your bow. Same for modern firearm. you can use your bow. multiple means of taking your game. This allows bow hunters to get a jump on the season (hardest to hunt with), then muzzleloaders get a week (second hardest) then modern gun opens.

The rest is excluded because that makes enforcement easier for the Game Warden and closes the mass of loopholes that the general public would try to jump through to be legal. Definition of a "party" is based on the judgement of the game warden that you will have to explain yourself to if you or anyone else with you gets stopped, and it's done that way for a reason.

But hey, if you want to roll the die go for it. Just be prepared to explain yourself to a game warden AND pay the fine (and potentially lose your hunting license)

Is it really worth it?

Big game, small game OR flying game. pick one and enjoy.

zirrow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just asking. I'm not going to "roll the die" or "go for it". That was the purpose of asking before just going. I'll try to refrain from asking any questions in the future. Sorry to be a bother.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just giving advice. I'm not trying to lecture you. Based on experience, this is how the GW sees it and I'd hate to see a member of the boards tangled up in the mess that it could lead to. How is rabbit/squirrel season shaping up on public land this year? I'd bet it's going gangbusters with the mild weather we've been having.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your brother is carrying a .22 (only weapon) to hunt squirrels (and it is legal on the WMA) and is licensed for hunting squirrel. And you are hunting deer with a bow and only the bow (and it is legal on the WMA) and appropriately licensed (hunting license and deer tag) you should be fine.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, what if one were hunting deer with a bow (with appropriate license), but also carrying a 10mm for protection from hogs (no license needed?) ?

I suppose 10mm possession would fall under Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and the Oklahoma Firearms Act?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, what if one were hunting deer with a bow (with appropriate license), but also carrying a 10mm for protection from hogs (no license needed?) ?

I suppose 10mm possession would fall under Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and the Oklahoma Firearms Act?

You can only carry the pistol during archery only season, if you have a concealed carry license.

Latest posts

Top Bottom