Considering getting rid of some heavier stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I broke out the Noveske KISS Carbine today and I've got to say that I'm noticing a couple of different things about myself lately:

#1 - I'm convinced that for practical carbine stuff, the Magpul ASAP plate definitely kicks the crap out of any 2-point sling for quickly switching to weak-side. I'm not convinced that I want to drag any AR around the brush with one while hunting, but its definitely way more advantageous than either of my 2-point slings. I say this while comparing my Viking VTAC and Vickers Combat VCAS to an old gym bag's shoulder-strap that's basically hooked to itself and then to the Magpul ASAP plate - I'm not lying, I plan on running through a practical carbine match with it like this - maybe some duct tape on it, but nothing fancy at all.

#2 - my LaRue Stealth Sniper upper is far to heavy for what I want out of a carbine. I may end up trying to trade it off for either a built-up Sabre or a Noveske Recce upper - I'm not sure just yet, but I've definitely started looking at the extra stuff I have that I don't find myself using nearly as much now that I'm doing things a lot differently (Thank you Magpul Dynamics Practical Carbine Volume I).

#3 - I think I actually like shooting Irons more than a red-dot at this point. I'm definitely thinking of switching optics if I keep the Stealth upper - and I find myself more and more wanting etched glass over red-dots pretty much anytime. Since I've vowed that my KISS carbine isn't getting anymore upgrades, this means I either get a blurry FSB in the bottom of the sight-picture of a magnified optic, or I get to go with just Irons - I'm honestly ok with just Irons.

Meh, we'll see I guess. At some point I've got to come up with the money to get my son's rifle out of Steve's shop (since I blew what I had on this Noveske), so I'll definitely be slimming things down some.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an optic with my FSB and never noticed anything blurry about.

I too now have 3 different AR's for different purposes.

My first was a Bushmaster patrolman's carbine. I had so much crap hanging off of it it was very heavy and impractical. Its basically back to its original configuration except with a rail and magpul XTM covers and a houge grip. Everything else is stock.

My other is my R-15. I use it for predator hunting and longer range shots. Still nothing impressive, inside 300 yards for sure. But I do feel more confident with the optic and 18" barrel.

Next is my Recce Spike's AR. I have BUIS and a Millet DMS on it. Its a little heavier with the Millet and heavy barrel but its a 16" and a Troy TRX Extreme battle Rail. Which I am convinced saved the most weight over a quadrail.

If I were to get into a "fight", SHTF, self defense, zombie situation; I would grab which ever rifle I had closest. They all shoot well, can be effective at close range and distance, and are reliable. The carbine would be nice for in the home situation, the Remington would be nice for standoffish defense, and the Spike's Recce could serve both purposes.

I have a quick detach flashlight on my Spike's Recce. Don't know that I'll ever actually need it but its there if I ever do.

I've gone away from bipods, VFG's, lasers and any other crap that adds weight and I can get by without. I have on AR with irons only, one AR with optic only, and one AR with both.

I use a single/two point on my Spike's, a two point on my Remington, and a single point on my Bushmaster.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should see how I do shoulder transitions with a Vickers 2 point. It can't be done any faster.

Where do you connect your 2-point to the AR? Mine is right before and right after the receiver (occasionally in the stock's QD connector) and I've yet to see anyone do it quickly - I'm very interested in this!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you connect your 2-point to the AR? Mine is right before and right after the receiver (occasionally in the stock's QD connector) and I've yet to see anyone do it quickly - I'm very interested in this!

I connect mine to the forward left side of the rail and the aft right side of the stock (CTR). When I transition all I do is switch shoulders, not hands. With the aft sling point on the right side, it just slides right over. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom