Considering Purchase of a 6” Blued Colt Python

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I collected colt snakes for over 40 years. Nothing beats an older python for shooting. Unfortunately you really have to know what your doing when buying older pythons. Since the prices went crazy, you have a lot of people taking advantage and selling guns with issues. Add in fact you can’t get parts and very few people can truly work on them and you can end up with a piece of junk if not careful. I suggest you go to the coltforum and educate yourself there. You should also consider becoming a member of the colt collectors association. Between those groups you will get enough info make a smart purchase.

As far as price, we’ll there are thousands of things to consider, age being the most common. But something as simple as grips can change value considerably. For example in the one posted by Flipz above does not have correct grips. If it’s a 1970 you would need a set of Gen 2 wood grips and they would cost around $250.

The python will be best revolver you shoot and I do suggest you own one in your life time. But do your homework first.

I moved from OKC in 2019 and sold over 100 colt snakes including 52 pythons at the time, including this amazing example…..

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/item-gone-fs-1966-colt-python-2-5-inch.285414/#post-3306014

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I collected colt snakes for over 40 years. Nothing beats an older python for shooting. Unfortunately you really have to know what your doing when buying older pythons. Since the prices went crazy, you have a lot of people taking advantage and selling guns with issues. Add in fact you can’t get parts and very few people can truly work on them and you can end up with a piece of junk if not careful. I suggest you go to the coltforum and educate yourself there. You should also consider becoming a member of the colt collectors association. Between those groups you will get enough info make a smart purchase.

As far as price, we’ll there are thousands of things to consider, age being the most common. But something as simple as grips can change value considerably. For example in the one posted by Flipz above does not have correct grips. If it’s a 1970 you would need a set of Gen 2 wood grips and they would cost around $250.

The python will be best revolver you shoot and I do suggest you own one in your life time. But do your homework first.

I moved from OKC in 2019 and sold over 100 colt snakes including 52 pythons at the time, including this amazing example…..

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/item-gone-fs-1966-colt-python-2-5-inch.285414/#post-3306014

Are you back?

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
I am not that familiar with Colts, but wanting to know what a ball park cost might be to purchase a used without box blued Python.
I don’t plan on shooting it, just always wanted one, thought I would get one now since prices just seem to increase.
I sent you an IM with my phone number. You are welcome to call me if you like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom