Considering Purchase of a 6” Blued Colt Python

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would the strike years make them less valuable?

Made by management, and not the usual skilled labor.

My 1986 (inherited) has some dog-earing around two screws from the factory, and the barrel/cylinder gap is non-existent. Dad got it new. He put maybe 250 rounds through it. I've put 50 through it, and by round 50 it was starting to gum up. The finish on the cylinder face is coming off too from the contact with the forcing cone.

At least the action is smooth!

I also have an original Anaconda (1991), King Cobra Enhanced (1994), Diamondback (1981), and Trooper MK III (1969)...they are all pretty nice.

The Python irritates me, but not enough to do anything about it.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made by management, and not the usual skilled labor.

My 1986 (inherited) has some dog-earing around two screws from the factory, and the barrel/cylinder gap is non-existent. Dad got it new. He put maybe 250 rounds through it. I've put 50 through it, and by round 50 it was starting to gum up. The finish on the cylinder face is coming off too from the contact with the forcing cone.

At least the action is smooth!

I also have an original Anaconda (1991), King Cobra Enhanced (1994), Diamondback (1981), and Trooper MK III (1969)...they are all pretty nice.

The Python irritates me, but not enough to do anything about it.
Interesting - did not know that. What is the King Cobra "Enhanced"?

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting - did not know that. What is the King Cobra "Enhanced"?

Basically a couple small "upgrades" if you want to call them that. Slightly larger Anaconda cylinder latch (crap, my terminology eludes me...S&W actually lists that part as the "thumb piece"). Plus the crown on the muzzle is different (recessed).

It is worth about an additional $3 if you go to sell it 😄.

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would the strike years make them less valuable?
In my experience people generally are referring to the early 80s guns when this is the topic. I will say, I can tell a difference in the blueing and action work for these guns. Im no expert but one problem was the mas production of the pythons. Back when everything was hand fitted and polished it took almost 12 years to manufacture 50,000 guns. Fast forward to 1981 and 52,000 pythons were produced in one year. It’s quantity over quality.

this is one reason to focus on the stainless guns from the early 80s. The first SS was released in late 82 ahead of their “magazine“ release of 1983. Since this was the “new” thing and nickel plate was on way out, the SS pythons are the good ones of this era in my opinion.

Strike, shutdowns, bankruptcy, etc. have been a problem for colt for many years. Many of these issues had negative effect on quality. This is why the older guns are more valuable. It’s not just age, they are better guns.

just my 2 cents

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to see some really expensive Colt Pythons, go to the advanced search on gunbroker, check completed sales and Keystone Arms as the seller.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I collected colt snakes for over 40 years. Nothing beats an older python for shooting. Unfortunately you really have to know what your doing when buying older pythons. Since the prices went crazy, you have a lot of people taking advantage and selling guns with issues. Add in fact you can’t get parts and very few people can truly work on them and you can end up with a piece of junk if not careful. I suggest you go to the coltforum and educate yourself there. You should also consider becoming a member of the colt collectors association. Between those groups you will get enough info make a smart purchase.

As far as price, we’ll there are thousands of things to consider, age being the most common. But something as simple as grips can change value considerably. For example in the one posted by Flipz above does not have correct grips. If it’s a 1970 you would need a set of Gen 2 wood grips and they would cost around $250.

The python will be best revolver you shoot and I do suggest you own one in your life time. But do your homework first.

I moved from OKC in 2019 and sold over 100 colt snakes including 52 pythons at the time, including this amazing example…..

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/item-gone-fs-1966-colt-python-2-5-inch.285414/#post-3306014

Scalawag, I have inherited a few sets of Colt revolver grips. A couple are Python I believe, and one appears to be an original Colt wood target set with medallion. How do I identify which generation it is?

Latest posts

Top Bottom