Converting an ornamental gas log fireplace into a functioning heat source?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your surround in the current ornamental fireplace is brick you can radiate more heat into the room by lining the back and side walls with steel plate.

You can do the same with a regular fireplace also and put much more heat into the room vs brick.

I did my neighbors regular fireplace.
He used to be able to sit on the brick hearth with the fire going in the fireplace and then i installed the steel plats and he had to move the furniture away a bit more and no way to sit on the bricks for very long.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, the question pertains to the insert. It's an ornamental insert, about as effective for heating as opening youtube on the smart tv and running a fireplace video.

The insert itself doesn't insulate against studs and insulate surrounding it. The insert instruction manual says not to operate with flue closed. And with flue open, all the heat escapes out the chimney.
What material is your insert made of? Mine is metal with fire brick type tile floor.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My current "fireplace" must have the flue open otherwise a risk of fire. The gas logs don't produce enough heat (to heat a room) with the flue open. It's strictly ornamental.

I have been in homes (back in the day) where they had gas heaters that looked like propane heaters, viz. the front grill is all lit up.

Do they make such to convert gas logs into functional heat? Something that doesn't look like it came from the set of Petticoat Junction?
we have a ventless gas log fireplace - works good - all heat comes into the house and it has a fan to assist - they say it is safe to run til the cows come home

bas402

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We’ve go a ventless fireplace with gas logs.

The thing is, if you read the manual it does need a fresh air source. I limit the run time when I turn them on.

I suspect there is no difference between your gas logs and mine.

I would use it as a heat source but be aware of how long you run them and get a carbon monoxide detector.
Then your ventless system is not set up correctly. When the power is out for long periods (days) we use ours as a great heat source.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then your ventless system is not set up correctly. When the power is out for long periods (days) we use ours as a great heat source.
Is yours ventless? If so, there is going to be carbon monoxide buildup unless there is a fresh air intake somewhere.

It’s similar to running a car in a sealed garage.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

HEAT​

Ventless Gas Logs​

EmpireRockCreek%20_FullSize.jpg

If heat is what you’re after, then a Ventless gas log set is the way to go. Ventless gas logs are extremely efficient and will provide an exceptional amount of heat for your room.
They don’t require a chimney or venting, allowing all of the heat produced to circulate back into the room, rather than escaping up the chimney.
Ventless gas logs are designed to achieve a clean, smokeless flame. They burn so hotly that nearly 100% of the fuel is combusted, allowing them to operate safely without a chimney.
Ventless gas logs can achieve a realistic-looking fire, but the flames often appear blue and may not be as large or as authentic as a Vented log set can produce.
The way Ventless logs are arranged also affects the appearance of the fire. They have to be stacked around the gas outlets to prevent flames from coming into direct contact with the logs. If flames do touch the logs, carbon monoxide can be produced. Arranging the logs this way can make the fire look like it’s shooting straight up, rather than engulfing the logs like a traditional fire.
Since combustion air isn’t able to escape through a chimney, Ventless gas log sets may give off an odor when burning and will intensify any odors already present in the home, such as air fresheners, incense, pet dander, and dust. Ventless appliances also produce water vapor during combustion, which can lead to excess moisture buildup throughout the living space.
As an additional safeguard, Ventless gas logs come equipped with a built-in Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) to monitor the amount of oxygen present in the room. If oxygen gets too low, the ODS automatically shuts off the gas supplyto the burner.
Read more about the pros and cons of Ventless gas logs here.

bas402

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is yours ventless? If so, there is going to be carbon monoxide buildup unless there is a fresh air intake somewhere.

It’s just like running a car in a sealed garage.
Yes, as long as you have air circulation in the room (large rooms)we have had no issues, I have a couple of monoxide detectors in this living area and have had no issues with ours. Please not these detectors do need replace every 5 yrs

Latest posts

Top Bottom