Help with gas log fireplace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I have a gas log fireplace that was in our house when we purchased it a few months ago. My wife loves a good fire and loves the smell of a real fireplace burning. This house had everything that we wanted with the exception of a real fireplace. Since this house has a gas log fireplace my wife compromised and agreed to purchasing the house.

Purchased the house during the summer, never checked the gas log. Now it is winter and we are having trouble with it. I have done a little bit of reading online and watching some youtube videos but I can't find much out there about this gas log. I hope someone on here can help me out.

The pilot light runs without problem, has since the first time we tried it. The problem is that it won't do anything more than that. I at first suspected that the flame sensor wasn't working so I started troubleshooting it like the youtube videos on my old furnace. Cleaned the flame sensor with emory cloth (white buildup on it) and tried to run it again, no change.

That's when I got my el cheapo volt meter out (ya know the one that Harbor Freight will give you with any purchase and a coupon) and took some measurements. It would appear that the flame sensor is working (but I don't know if it is working well enough because I don't know what the values should be). And the On/Off switch appears to be working (but same deal, I don't know what the values should be).

Anybody on the board know more than I about these things?

Here is the model info that I have.
Gas Log Model.jpg

Here is a measurement with the thermopile (I saw that term in the manual, otherwise it is a flame sensor to me) cooled down mostly and the pilot off.
Thermopile off.jpg

Here is a measurement with the thermopile in the pilot flame and it heated up pretty well
Thermopile On.jpg

Here is a picture with my meter on ohms and running across the switch, with the switch off
Switch Off.jpg

And the switch on
(guess I will post in another post since I can only do four images per post.

Here is the manual that I found online.
http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/4/48b4fdab-52ee-8a24-25da-d72e93424730.pdf

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WARNING: Improper installation,
adjustment, alteration, service,
or maintenance can cause
injury or property damage. Refer
to this manual for correct
installation and operational
procedures. For assistance or
additional information consult
a qualified installer, service
agency, or the gas supplier.

What is your gas pressure, What type of fuel NG, LP?

Burner does not light after ODS/pilot is lit

1. Burner orifice clogged
2. Inlet gas pressure is too low
3. Burner orifice diameter is too small
4. Thermopile leads disconnected or improperly
connected
5. Burners will not come on in remote
position

1. Clean burner (see Cleaning and Maintenance,
page 17) or replace burner orifice
2. Contact local natural gas company
3. Replace burner orifice
4. Reconnect leads (see Wiring Diagram,
page 21)
5. Replace battery in transmitter and
receiver

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry it is a NG log fireplace.

The Burner orifice has been blown out with compressed air, the burner orifice doesn't appear to be bent anywhere to cause the diameter to shrink, thermopile connections have been disconnected and reconnected and are secure (which I receive the measurements on) and the system does not have the remote option mentioned in 5.
As far as inlet gas pressure, I don't have a way to measure that, but my furnace is gas, and I have two hot water heaters that are gas. None of them are having problems.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jumper the thermocouple connection together. If the system works, the thermocouple is the problem.

If it doesn't there are different checks.

Just tried that between the two terminals with a paperclip. No change.
I followed the following procedure:
1. Jump terminals with switch in off position
2. Switch NG Gas Log fireplace to the on position
3. Hold jumper in place for approximately 30 seconds
4. Switch off and on, waiting about 10 seconds in between.

Then I looked over and saw that the NG gas valve was on (ball valve) but the NG gas log was set on pilot.

I moved the valve to the on position and things started working. Turned the switch off, burners off, switch on, burners on. Rinse and repeat 20 times or so without failure. So I decided to put the "wood" back on it and try again, worked, put the metal grate over the front and try again. Worked.

After putting it all back together, I did have one time that the system didn't run after switching to the on position. But I turned it off and back on again and it worked fine.

I will do some more testing for functionality in the morning just to make sure everything is running ok.

Would jumping the thermopile connectors have done anything, or was it just stupid user all along? Looking back through the pictures (Thermopile off picture) it would appear the gas valve was in the Pilot position during those tests also.

Man I hope you fixed it dennishoddy, if so I owe ya a cold beverage of your choice! Hopefully this makes momma happy!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesnt show a therm, Dennis, its a piezo connected to the gas valve wiring harness....gas valve?

Gottcha.

Same type of unit in my shop rescued from my parents home remodel. It sits idle all spring/summer, puts on the pilot, but no main flame.

Did this for a couple of years. Finally determined that I had to leave the gas on all year long to the regulator. There are some diaphragms in there that get hard or something, and don't open.
I know this is redneck, but whack it a few times and see if you can unseat the diaphragms. If not it might take a kit in the regulator.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a gas valve problem or thermostat problem. If the pilot light stays lit then it is producing the required millivolts to keep it lit.

If it stays lit, then it has proved there is a flame. If there is no gas coming out to light the burner then the valve is not working.

The problem may be the thermostat has not sent a signal to open the gas valve or it has sent the signal but the gas valve is defective.
You need to follow the sequence of operations and find where the signal is being lost. Sometimes if it is an old manual thermostat, the anticipator in the thermostat has broken. That would be the really fine wire under the cover.

I still think it is a problem with the signal to the gas valve.Not the thermocouple.

Ok I see you have found the problem. Disregard

Latest posts

Top Bottom