Cop Refuses to Work at Gay Pride Parade in Utah

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cop was issued an assignment and he didn't agree with it. He wasn't forced into the parade, just a public safety role. I don't disagree with his suspension for his actions. That said, pride parades can be fun if it doesn't become outrageous. I've been to OKC pride with my sister and there were normal people enjoying a parade (gay and straight) and there were raunchy people there as well. When you turn something into a public spectacle that you wouldn't bring a 5 year old to then you have lost the point of that event.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this is where my Libertarian-leaning self departs from most Libertarians. I believe in the use of community standards laws and would use them to prevent parades or public events that are sexual in nature. I'd prevent this nonsense from ever beginning and would not force public servants from being put in this position in the first case.

But then, I'm obviously behind the times and not really in tune with the "New America". And, pretty much, activists of all stripe annoy me.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, I'm all for banning parades, but you can't just ban gay parades, you have to ban them all.

This is really no different than an officer being assigned to work a rock concert or a New Orleans cop working Mardi Gras where chicks are flashing their tits.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hey, I'm all for banning parades, but you can't just ban gay parades, you have to ban them all.

This is really no different than an officer being assigned to work a rock concert or a New Orleans cop working Mardi Gras where chicks are flashing their tits.
Actually I don't think it's very far fetched to consider banning a parade where lewd behavior is the norm. That or institute guidelines for conduct. If there were a parade celebrating being straight during which people make the exact gestures, etc.. that are present a gay parades there would be an uproar. Of course a parade celebrating being straight would never be allowed.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since they're not required to protect anyone, don't they already choose who they "serve and protect?"

No. You can generally "not protect" the public at large. You cannot selectively choose a protected status group or individual to refuse to serve, as a public official.

No difference. Both are public servants. The gay parades are foul and obscene. Obviously the homosexuals participating in the parade cannot control themselves in a civilized or dignified manner. If they were to act that way other than in gay parade they would be arrested for indecency or sexual harassement. Most would think someone dressed as a cop as a Village People impersonator.
What would a cop do at one of those parades if he (or she) witnessed something immoral that is against the law? Do the homosexuals get a free pass because it's "their" parade?

There are two distinct differences. First, in most states, there are specific statutes that cover LEO's. One of them is breach of the peace. You cannot breach the peace of a peace officer. In other words, cops don't get to arrest people just because they're offended. Officers cannot be sexually harassed by the public. Either the person in public broke a law, or they did not. That may not apply to firefighters, as they no special arrest powers. As for the parade participants, it should be the responsibility if the event coordinators to ensure all participants are dressed and conducting themselves within the local laws (in some of those more liberal jurisdictions, public nudity isn't illegal).

Second, the offer wasn't ordered to participate in the parade, just work it. Do you think a firefighter or EMS person would be in hot water if they refused to provide essential service, based on sexual orientation of the victim? Absolutely.

Now I know we're supposed to be all warm and fuzzy to everyone these days, including cops. They're also protected by unions and rules that frequently allow them to get away with stuff that no cop should ever get away with and keep their jobs. I wouldn't make a very good Chief, because I'd have told him you either work the parade or turn in your badge. Refusing to do your sworn duty isn't an option in my book. :(

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thing it was his arm and not his leg as that would have hindered his dancing career!!!!

RKM, that kind of behavior is VERY common with almost any gay event. Not so much lesbian but the men can be worse then a bunch of construction workers at a strip club.

I worked as a bouncer at strips clubs back in the late 70s and early 80s. I had to threaten bodily harm to many before they would leave me alone. It got so bad with one that I had his arm through a cast iron railing telling him just how many breaks he would get in his arm before he would back off.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the article states that they have gay cops on the police force, they should be the ones working the parade.

If the cop was muslim, I doubt it would even make the newspapers.

Since the homosexuals feel that the cops should be forced to undergo sensitivity training, maybe the homosexuals should be required to have training on how to act and dress decently for a public parade.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since the article states that they have gay cops on the police force, they should be the ones working the parade.

Since the homosexuals feel that the cops should be forced to undergo sensitivity training, maybe the homosexuals should be required to have training on how to act and dress decently for a public parade.

So you're saying that the officers should dictate to command who will work where and when? Yeah...Right... :rolleyes2

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I don't think it's very far fetched to consider banning a parade where lewd behavior is the norm. That or institute guidelines for conduct. If there were a parade celebrating being straight during which people make the exact gestures, etc.. that are present a gay parades there would be an uproar. Of course a parade celebrating being straight would never be allowed.

Have you ever been to Mardi Gras? You'll see more bare tits than at the Braum's dairy.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Why do you get to define what is decent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom