Cord Wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And this is osa for you folks. You go to a thread and think that it is only about firewood and then you discover that all the Cliff Clavens have come out of the wood work. Lol, I'm kidding but this is not only educational but also entertaining. No feelers were meant to be hurt with my comment.
Anybody whose feelers were hurt by this thread is way too much of a nancy-boi snowflake to be on OSA in the first place.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could you mail me a few copies of the butthurt form as I have no printer? Postage will be reimbursed of course when formal complaint is sent in.

Whattya gonna whine about? Not having a printer? 1-800-WAAA

(Babies R Us)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please use attached form. Submit in triplicate and allow a minimum of three to five working days for a response. Submit payment via certified check, money order, cash, ammo, or beer to druryj as per Butthurt Report Policy. Any calculations required may result in an additional delay regarding your inquiry. Incomplete forms will be returned, postage due.
OK. It'll take a little while to get it to you, as I ran out of ink checking all those boxes.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After several rounds with unscrupulous sellers trying to play games with me regarding the quantity of wood (one tried to tell me that a "cord"--which he originally wrote in his ad as a "quart"--was "a term for multiple ricks," and a rick contains 80 logs), I hunted down the actual legal definition, in an official .gov (NIST, National Institute of Standards and Technology) publication: NIST Handbook 130, Uniform Regulation for the Method of Sale of Commodities.
https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/04/28/ivb-methsale-h130-15-final.pdf (I've attached a copy in case the link changes).

See definition 2.4.1.2, on page 115:

2.4.1.2. Cord. – The amount of wood that is contained in a space of 128 [cubic feet] when the wood is ranked and well stowed. For the purpose of this regulation, “ranked and well stowed” shall be construed to mean that pieces of wood are placed in a line or row, with individual pieces touching and parallel to each other, and stacked in a compact manner.​

Anybody using any other definition is at best ignorant, and at worst dishonest.

So, the next time somebody tries to pull a fast one on you, you now have an authoritative source to ask him to give you an accurate, meaningful, consistent number.

Now I'm waiting for the first time I see a seller of firewood advertising that their product is traceable to a NIST standard...LOL!

Latest posts

Top Bottom