Corrosive Ammo use on an AK-47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ak4778

Well I will admit I am very skeptical about it and im a little iffy about trying the corrosive..But it is much cheaper and I LOVE SHOOTING so i am going to try it!
THANKS everyone I appreciate it!!

A

Ak4778

It really doesn't matter. The ammonia doesn't neutralize, it just assist in the dissolving of the salts. if you bought the cleaner without ammonia you'd just have to spray more of the cleaner to wash the salts away.

Really warm water is probably the best way to wash out the salts. And it's free (for the most part)!

Definitely trying this next time..Im going to the gun show this weekend here in Conroe Tx and I will be stocking up on ammo!
With the money i'll be saving I can buy Windex and Ballistol!

A

Ak4778

If it make you feel any better. I've put well over 3 spam cans of corrosive ammo through my AK. Guess what? She still shots just as good as the day I bought her.

Hey my AK came with the slanted muzzle break screwed on all the way to the end of the thread and on there VERY TIGHT I haven't been able to take it off..And it really dont bother me but I noticed in the corrosive ammo cleaning process they mention taking the muzzle off to clean the threads also,Do you think its really necessary?

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey my AK came with the slanted muzzle break screwed on all the way to the end of the thread and on there VERY TIGHT I haven't been able to take it off..And it really dont bother me but I noticed in the corrosive ammo cleaning process they mention taking the muzzle off to clean the threads also,Do you think its really necessary?

I think you'll shootout the barrel before that happens! Trust me, you aren't going to hurt that AK. I wouldn't worry about it. But if you're really anal about it, clean it every year or so.

A

Ak4778

I think you'll shootout the barrel before that happens! Trust me, you aren't going to hurt that AK. I wouldn't worry about it. But if you're really anal about it, clean it every year or so.[/QUOTE

I guess im beiing paranoid being a fiets time gun owner! Thanks for your help though,I really appreciate it!

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with babying your rifle (especially a new one), it's all part of the fun! Some platforms require more than others, so it's never a bad habit to pick up and implement. Clean that AK as much and as often as you like. But just remember that the AK isn't a picky platform. She just as happy dressed up like a prom queen as she is when she's as dirty as a sewer rat.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's chrome lined, you don't have much to worry about it. Just run some warm water or windex, ect through the bore and gas tube. Be sure to throughly clean or rinse out the gas tube. It's the one area people don't pay attention to and is most likely place to have rust or pitting due to people not cleaning it out.

If you don't have a chrome lined barrel, it's important you rinse out and/or thoroughly clean out the bore after shooting. This is also true for surplus ammo labeled "non corrosive" which is almost always mildly corrosive. My non chrome lined Yugo welcomed me to a bore that looked like a rusted out sewer pipe after shooting some "non corrosive" labeled ammo and letting it sit for a couple of days after shooting. Was madder than hell since the bore was absolutely pristine and now it's pitted. It's still accurate and has strong rifling and didn't affect it functionally, just really annoying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom