Corrosive Ammo use on an AK-47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Ak4778

Hey I have a question if anyone can help! Im new to the Guns/Ammo world and I just recently bought my first Ak 47 polish underfolder after doing a lot of research..Now I would like to know about the Ammo..
I see a big difference in the price on corrosive and non-corrosive ammo.Being that I love to shoot my Ak and non corrosive ammo is fairly expensive,how harmful is corrosive ammo to an ak?
If I can get away with just cleaning it right away after shooting it I can certainly live with that..Or should I just stay as far away from it as possible! And if so,how is it harmful to the Ak?
Any help,tips on cleaning with corrosive ammo and answers will be appreciated,Thanks!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does your AK have a chrome lined barrel?

Corrosive is OK as long as you clean well shortly after shooting. There are many videos and posts and opinions all over the web on whats the best way to neutralize the corrosive elements in the corrosive ammo.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Corrosive is good to go. Just add water after shooting to neutralize the salts and then oil and clean like normal. I like using Ballistol as a one and done product.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own several AK's, SKS, and Mosins. Some with chrome barrels, some not (YUGO's). I shoot mostly the corrosive Yugo, mil-surp ammo in my AK's. GREAT stuff.

All you have to do is rinse the gun with water before cleaning normally. I use the garden hose and run water down the barrel and down the gas tube. During the winter, I just rinse it in the shower. The corrosive salts are dissolved in the water and rinsed out. I know some people take an air-compressor and dry it off. I never have. Air dry has always worked for me.

After the water-rense, clean with whatever gun-cleaning product you ususally use and clean as you normally would. You will NEVER have any issues with corrosive ammo. It is not scary stuff at all....plus its CHEAP (relatively speaking!)

A

Ak4778

Does your AK have a chrome lined barrel?

Corrosive is OK as long as you clean well shortly after shooting. There are many videos and posts and opinions all over the web on whats the best way to neutralize the corrosive elements in the corrosive ammo.

I really dont know,Its an Century arms underfolder and I tried looking everywhere for the details on the gun and it gives everything except that info! Smh..
If it it chrome lined is that better for corrosive ammo?

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You AK was made to run the corrosive ammo. It won't hurt it in the least. You'd have to not clean that rifle for days, maybe even weeks for the pitting to start, and even then it wouldn't affect the performance.

After firing corrosive it as simple as neutralizing, dissolving, or washing out the corrosive properties of the salts. The are tons of ways this can be accomplished. Windex or some other ammonia based cleaner will work. Warm water will work. Ballistol and water works awesome (this is what I do), etc...Hell if you are hardcore you could even piss on the rifle to wash out and dissolve the salts.

A

Ak4778

You AK was made to run the corrosive ammo. It won't hurt it in the least. You'd have to not clean that rifle for days, maybe even weeks for the pitting to start, and even then it wouldn't affect the performance.

After firing corrosive it as simple as neutralizing, dissolving, or washing out the corrosive properties of the salts. The are tons of ways this can be accomplished. Windex or some other ammonia based cleaner will work. Warm water will work. Ballistol and water works awesome (this is what I do), etc...Hell if you are hardcore you could even piss on the rifle to wash out and dissolve the salts.

LMAO!! Thanks very much for your help..You answered my question..I was wondering if the windex had to be the one with ammonia!

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for this video!!
I just have One question..I know they have windex with or without ammonia..Does it matter witch one I use?Thanks!

It really doesn't matter. The ammonia doesn't neutralize, it just assist in the dissolving of the salts. if you bought the cleaner without ammonia you'd just have to spray more of the cleaner to wash the salts away.

Really warm water is probably the best way to wash out the salts. And it's free (for the most part)!

Latest posts

Top Bottom