Cost of lumber in 1933 for great grandpas 12x40 "museum" building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Inside/structure is in great shape and original but being used as storage. It's bare studs, wood plank floor, open ceiling. I will see if I can get a good pic without a bunch of junk in the way. He used to have the front 10 feet out so walled off with a wood burning stove that he used as his little workshop and keep heated in the winter. He used to have big displays in the rest for the museum stuff.

My idea is to empty it out of the storage stuff and turn it back into a ""museum" with my own interests which have a lot of overlap with his.

As an example, this was one of my favorite pieces in the museum which I thankfully got to keep after he passed.

View attachment 311965

Details on this?

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try restore( Habitat)
Trying to source some reasonably priced front doors, they are in dire need of replacement.
And it'll get prepped and painted next spring. Looking kinda sad at the moment but it's solid as a rock and again 90 years old.

View attachment 311841View attachment 311842
I have found doors and windows there before, OKC 51st and I 35. and there is one at 18th and N Robinson.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So this is a building my great grandpa built and is still standing on the property I'm at. He bought the "kit" as shown on the reciept and the rest is trim he added. It's 12x40 w/ 10ft walls, cedar shingle siding, a door and window on the front, a large window on the back and 4 windows on each side. Later it was referred to as his museum building as he filled it with taxidermy, primitives, Indian artifacts and his various collections. Local schools would actually occasionally take field trips to it and he would show them some of the stuff. He would have built this when he was 23. Several years later he went to California for a few years to find work and his brother did him a "favor" and painted it white and the family had been dealing with repainting it regularly ever since. Some day I'd like to redo the siding back to raw cedar shingles but couldn't imagine the cost to do that nowadays. He originally built it about a mile from here, then when they bought this property they moved it here. It comes apart in the middle so they moved each 12x20 half individually then put it back together.

For those of you who saw my paint sprayer thread, this building is the main reason I asked about them. It's due for another paint job and I couldn't imagine doing it by hand with a brush even though that's how it's been done for decades.

There's no real point to this thread, just thought it was cool and that my grandpa still had the receipt from when his dad built it nearly 90 years ago.
View attachment 311757

View attachment 311754
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So this is a building my great grandpa built and is still standing on the property I'm at. He bought the "kit" as shown on the reciept and the rest is trim he added. It's 12x40 w/ 10ft walls, cedar shingle siding, a door and window on the front, a large window on the back and 4 windows on each side. Later it was referred to as his museum building as he filled it with taxidermy, primitives, Indian artifacts and his various collections. Local schools would actually occasionally take field trips to it and he would show them some of the stuff. He would have built this when he was 23. Several years later he went to California for a few years to find work and his brother did him a "favor" and painted it white and the family had been dealing with repainting it regularly ever since. Some day I'd like to redo the siding back to raw cedar shingles but couldn't imagine the cost to do that nowadays. He originally built it about a mile from here, then when they bought this property they moved it here. It comes apart in the middle so they moved each 12x20 half individually then put it back together.

For those of you who saw my paint sprayer thread, this building is the main reason I asked about them. It's due for another paint job and I couldn't imagine doing it by hand with a brush even though that's how it's been done for decades.

There's no real point to this thread, just thought it was cool and that my grandpa still had the receipt from when his dad built it nearly 90 years ago.
View attachment 311757

View attachment 311754
The contrast between what our money was with then and what it’s worth now is almost impossible to reconcile.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not sure about your lot and your family's situation/history, but i'd wager that looks a LOT like a typical "mother in law" house. any ideas why he built it?

OK, I asked my dad and grandpa and my dad has responded with...(the questions are directed to my grandpa for clarification)

"I always thought that it was built for basically a museum, storage for artifacts and taxidermy. Then, at some point the partition wall was added for a work area. After it was moved to the current location? Is that when the little heating stove was added?"

Latest posts

Top Bottom