couple of opinion's needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh yeeeeaahhhh....... the shorter these get the more i find myself liking it. i have a feeling that the maj. might be getting a call soon. hell by the time the atf approved the forms i could afford another barrel.

I'll have (after santa delivers) a dsa zm4 upper/ the m1a to hold me over in the meantime.

now i just need : young NM sidecharging BCG, a quadrail system, SBR paperwork-ness, a really short barrel.....

i suppose that holding back a little and spending some more time on this build will yield much better results than just trying to get this thing together as soon as money permits. i guess i need to talk to some SBR guys and see if the hype is worth the time and the wait.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a couple of awesome rails that work with a standard barrel nut (like my 14.5" pinned above). The DD Omega and the VLTOR CASV (the one in my pic) are two of my favorites. If you start out with a quality free float I can't imagine you ever wanting to replace it...but that's just my opinion.

I personally wouldn't bother with the stainless. It's heavier and doesn't really offer any advantages over a quality chrome-lined pipe (like the outstanding $179 Daniel Defense barrel).

I guess it all depends on your gas block - I wanted a VLTOR clamp-style instead of the set-screw type (I don't know why other than I felt like a clamp-style was more secure - I can't actually prove that it is).

With my gas block, I can't get even a standard barrel nut over it (which sucks because I definitely can't get the DD Lite rail-mount piece over it either).

I can see the advantages of an SBR, but you could then take it apart if you wanted to. I don't guess it matters if you don't ever plan on taking it completely apart, but I just don't like to be limited by what I could do should the mood (and cash-flow) strike me.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think i've convinced myself to go the SBR route. After the holidays ill get the paperwork going with the Maj. :)

as for the rails i just seem to like how the YHM ones look. and wow once you step away from the stainless barrels they become alot more affordable i guess i've never really paid much attention to barrel prices untill all this came up.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with the 14.5" with perm attached hider. Now, i Idecide to SBR it I can take the hider off and put a fh on it, but probably leave it alone so if I go out of state I don't have to hassle it like above poster. SBR will be a separate 11.5" on the Colt lower.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so the i finally figured out what the upper will be configured as. mega machine side charging upper, dpms 7" brl, yankee hill gas block, noveske kx3, yankee hill specter length lightweight ff, matech rear and magpul front back up irons. :) now i just need money to start growing on this tree i stole from bill gates....

Latest posts

Top Bottom