Coye Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had no idea it was that easy!
Seriously, I am absolutely amazed at the process and talent involved.
Great work.

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the talent part, but it certainly is a process.

Okay, epoxy's dry...

I'll drill 1/8" pilot holes through where the corby bolts will eventually be, using the tang as a template. Because the tang is tapered, I have to use a fixture to ensure that the blade is held horizontal so verticle holes are drilled through the micarta.

Randy doesn't want a lanyard tube so no need to drill that out.
[Broken External Image]

Looks as if I need to slow that mill/drill down a little. I'd never smoked micarta before today....

....it's a little harsh but nothin' like that crap from the late '70s ;) Seriously, a good quality respirator is a needed when making dust of any kind.
[Broken External Image]

Epoxy the other scale on and make sure it's squared up.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Clamp again and wait..........

BC

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but I'm currently taking this one for a spin :)

BC

Bill, I sent you a PM, don't know if you'll get it, but was wondering about something custom with an old harrow blade(before they were wheeled). My Grandfather used this in his corncrib to bust up ears for feeding the hogs. Its over 100yrs old, and would like it transformed into something nice to remember him by. Its the one on the far left in the pic.

Leighton

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Arlington_Knives098.jpg

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bill, I sent you a PM, don't know if you'll get it, but was wondering about something custom with an old harrow blade(before they were wheeled). My Grandfather used this in his corncrib to bust up ears for feeding the hogs. Its over 100yrs old, and would like it transformed into something nice to remember him by. Its the one on the far left in the pic.

Leighton

Leighton,

First, thank you for thinking my skills are worthy to work with such an heirloom. However, my limited stock removal experience is with stainless steels alone.

I would like to steer you towards another Oklahoma knifemaker Mr. Billy Helton of Claremore www.heltonknives.com - He has years of experience on me and as a forger, works with high carbon steels on a regular basis. He also makes his own damascus (which is awesome).

A piece like that would have to be anneald (softened), worked, heat treated and tempered properly. He has all of that set up as I do not.

I've already spoken with Billy on the phone this afternoon about this project and he's ready to speak to you and put a plan together. He's a great guy and a very skilled knifemaker.

Again, thank you!

BC

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've received a few PMs recently that I'm not able to access - not being rude by not answering....just can't get to 'em secondary to forum software issues I guess.

Back to work:

Using the pilot holes drilled through the first scale as a guide, I'll go ahead and drill through the other side.
[Broken External Image]

I'll use a step drill now for for the corby bolts - place a piece of tape as a reference so not to drill through by accident. We want a shoulder for the corby bolts to rest on.
[Broken External Image]

Back into the fixture to ensure verticle holes.
[Broken External Image]

Here's the corby bolts: stainless steel, male and female sides. Straight slot screw driver allows a nice tight fit from both sides of the handle. The handle material is epoxied and additional strength is given by using the bolts.
[Broken External Image]

Into the knife vise to allow for tightening from both sides. Get those epoxied in now.
[Broken External Image]

Dry epoxy, dry!

BC

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut off corby bolts flush with the handle material

[Broken External Image]

40 grit belt to rough out shape
[Broken External Image]

120 grit to bring it to the tang
[Broken External Image]

Scales textured with a 120 grit belt. Randy asked for micarta - I had never textured micarta before. It's either made with canvas (rough), linen or paper (fine). This particular micarta is made with canvas so it's REALLY grippy.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Tapered tang
[Broken External Image]

This knife weighs right at 7 oz.

Next, kydex sheaths and I'm done!

BC

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ridgebacks and an Oscar Mike.

Swedge grinds and primary bevels cleaned up. Now to clean up the flats and give them all a 600 grit satin finish.

[Broken External Image]

BC

Latest posts

Top Bottom