Cracked die?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look striaight up the line and see if there is a hole drilled in the die, leaving a burr. It is an air/oil relief hole. Is that die a Lee? They are notorious for that.

If it is a burr try polishing it as other have said. If that doesn't get, go after it with a hardened tool such as a scribe or long punch to knock the burr loose. Then polish the die.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look striaight up the line and see if there is a hole drilled in the die, leaving a burr. It is an air/oil relief hole. Is that die a Lee? They are notorious for that.

If it is a burr try polishing it as other have said. If that doesn't get, go after it with a hardened tool such as a scribe or long punch to knock the burr loose. Then polish the die.
Hornady die no hole

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you bought them used probably some nim-nod got a case stuck and stuck in a screwdriver to pop out the case and didn't realize they scratched it. polish it out. worse comes to worse it becomes a neck sizing die.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you bought them used probably some nim-nod got a case stuck and stuck in a screwdriver to pop out the case and didn't realize they scratched it. polish it out. worse comes to worse it becomes a neck sizing die.
I got it out and cleaned it up already used it about 50 times not sure how it got there I’m the only one ever used them must of been something on a case that I missed

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got it out and cleaned it up already used it about 50 times not sure how it got there I’m the only one ever used them must of been something on a case that I missed
Don't know where you reload but could be something as simple as a lubed case falling over and picking up some crap off the loading bench, like sand from a bench rest bag, anything that's harder than steel could have embedded itself in the soft brass then made the scratch when sizing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom