depriming brass without the die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes, thinking I may have to source one. May be my only option.
Harbor freight for a punch.
OR, you can take a wooden dowel the size of the neck, fill the cartridge with water, and sharply strike the dowel with a hammer to use hydraulic force to remove the primer. You will just have to support the base when doing that with enough room for the primer to clear.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Live primer,

Kill the primer with some form of liquid. WD 40 is popular.
Just remember that this may be a temporary condition and is not a long term fix.

Removal -
If you reload a large straight wall case (45/70), you may be able to use that die a universal deprimer.

Block of wood with a hole in it for the primer to fall into and a punch - works fine, and I have done it many times.
One quick blow is all it takes. Don't be ginger with it and be sure the punch is in the flash hole before you hit it.
Hold the punch with a pair of plyers so your hand is not in line with the case. If the primer should pop the case will shoot up and the rim could give you a nasty cut if your hand is right above it.

If you don't have a punch, just get a 16 penny nail and grind a small tip on it, The tip only need to be about 1/4 inch long and the stiff body is helpful. Use your decamping die as a reference for the pin size.

Water technique - fill case with water, insert a close-fitting dowel and smack it with the case supported on a board with a small hole for the primer to fall into. Never had much success with this technique and its a bit messy.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May just do that, I sent you a message about some cases I have if you want them. I can swing some by sometime. Thanks
Chuck up a nail in drill. use a file to grind down point to fit primer hole. Drill a hole in block of wood of proper size and drive out primer.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lee universal decapper. and a hammer. in over 50 years of loading I've never had one go bang and they're cheap

Latest posts

Top Bottom