Crime Lab Scientist Deleted and Tampered w/DNA Results in 600 Cases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If true, she needs to be sent to prison.
Maybe; it depends on the details. It’s possible that she's just bad at record keeping, and none of those problems actually affected the accuracy of the tests. F'rinstance, maybe those "deleted results" were results that she knew were bad because of equipment problems or obvious contamination, so she ashcanned them when procedure said she should've kept and logged them as bad results.

If she intentionally did stuff to send people to prison, then, yeah, she should get an all expenses paid vacation at the Crossbar Hotel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe; it depends on the details. It’s possible that she's just bad at record keeping, and none of those problems actually affected the accuracy of the tests. F'rinstance, maybe those "deleted results" were results that she knew were bad because of equipment problems or obvious contamination, so she ashcanned them when procedure said she should've kept and logged them as bad results.

If she intentionally did stuff to send people to prison, then, yeah, she should get an all expenses paid vacation at the Crossbar Hotel.
If she is bad at record keeping, that is the first indication she should not be in that position. It shouldn't take a competent attorney very much time to see if it was bad record keeping as those are a standard among LEO agencies to maintain those records. If they were scrapped, the reason has to be stated.
How Joyce Gilchrist got away with what she did is amazing. Those records are public knowledge, available for any attorney to view and contest.
I don't know the numbers, but a lot of innocent folks spent a lot of time behind bars and she should have been one of them.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she is bad at record keeping, that is the first indication she should not be in that position. It shouldn't take a competent attorney very much time to see if it was bad record keeping as those are a standard among LEO agencies to maintain those records. If they were scrapped, the reason has to be stated.
I don't disagree, and to be clear, I don't have any idea what the procedures are here, let alone in Colorado, I'm just using that as an example of why jail time might not be appropriate for her. With over 600 cases affected, I would be surprised if it turned out to be bad clerical work or plain incompetence, but you never can tell.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The brings up a philosophical question. For the sake of discussion, let's assume that she was putting her thumb on the scale to make sure that the guilty got punished, and let's further assume that those defendants were, in fact, all guilty as sin, but would've walked free if she hadn't done what she did. In that case, should she be punished?

Latest posts

Top Bottom