Cross draw Holster History

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was growing up (mid 1960's) I remember the Strategic Air Command Air Police worn cross draw holsters (I don't recall any other Air Force Air Police wearing cross draw holsters), I also remember the bone handle grips on their revolvers; I also recall the Florida Highway Patrol had cross draw (1970's) holsters on their duty uniforms ( Someone once told me they carried S&W model 66 then); Lastly I remember a black and white (the book was probably written during the 60's) book about the FBI and in it an agent was drawing his revolver using a cross draw under his suit coat jacket. My question is -- Was the cross draw better? -- Was it the flavor of the month? -- Some new training technique at the time? If someone could shed some light. Thanks

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You remember correctly about the SAC Air Police. If you look up SAC Elite Guard, it will give you some of the history. I would say the .38 S&W Revolvers with Stag stocks were carried cross draw more as part of a distinctive uniform than a tactical advantage. It does provide an advantage if seated, and that may have had something to do with the method of carry.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished reading the 2011 Glock Autopistols Annual; The magazine has a story that the Florida Highway Patrol has issued the Glock 39 Generation 4 in .45 GAP; the article also read that most of the years that they carried revolvers, "the service revolvers were worn crossed-draw, butt forward on the left hip, even by left-handed troopers." Reading that; it appears they were going more for the distinctive uniform than tactical advantage; it would seem awkward to draw your firearm that way; I guess with alot of practice anything is possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom