Cutting 16" barrel to 14.5" on AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laubage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I just like how it would be more consistent with an M4 that the military uses. I bought an ACOG TA31RCO-M4 (if you remember my delivery fiasco) which is calibrated for a 14.5" barrel... on top of that, I just got a bayonet at the gun show and I didn't realize it wouldn't fit the rifle since it was designed for the M4.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, and I don't want to pay an NFA tax, or go throught hassle of trying to sell my 16" upper for a 14.5" pinned upper.

One thing to consider is what your twist-rate is and who made the barrel. 1/9 twist-rates start to do funny things when you get them too short (seems to be different with each barrel-manufacturer). Also, if the barrel isn't a decent quality barrel, you might notice some differences in accuracy at 14.5" over 16" (or you might decide that its just not worth it for the cost of machining when you can sell your barrel and pick up a 14.5" for just a little more).

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My dad had a 16" barrel chopped to 10" for his SBR build a while back and started having troubles with reliability due to the gas system. He finally had to sell it and get a factory 10" barrel to get back the reliability.

I don't know if chopping only 2" would have the same problems, just something to think about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom