Help putting together an AR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I bought everything I need to slap together my first nice AR. I’ve put together a lower before, but things were pretty ghetto and it shows. I figured I could sit back and read articles and watch YouTube videos to put it all together, but I would much rather learn from someone how to do it all right. I have most of the tools needed to do it, but I don’t have experience thermal fitting barrels to uppers, lapping receivers (if it’s really needed?) or pinning and welding muzzle devices.

Anyone wanna donate some knowledge? I’ll buy beer/lunch/whatever.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never had to do any of that other than to weld a bead for a friend on a muzzle device that was already drilled and pinned.
Reason to weld was the barrel was too short (under 16") and the welded device kept it long and legal.
The hardest part is getting some of those pins in the lower.
There are specific tools to make that much easier.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm good for it. Come on over!
Sweet. I should have my parts in by the end of the week. When I get everything together, I’ll hit you up.

Also, a few questions for you/everyone:

Suggestions for the pin on the muzzle device? It’s a stainless barrel, 4140 steel muzzle device.

Is bedding the barrel extension necessary on a thermal fit barrel?

Is lapping/truing the reciever face a good idea? Or bad/waste of time when assembling an AR with a quality upper?

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet. I should have my parts in by the end of the week. When I get everything together, I’ll hit you up.

Also, a few questions for you/everyone:

Suggestions for the pin on the muzzle device? It’s a stainless barrel, 4140 steel muzzle device.
The few I've pinned, I used a roll pin into a blind hole, slap some heat control paste around it then hit it with the TIG to close hole.
Is bedding the barrel extension necessary on a thermal fit barrel?
JMHO, any precision increase is good but in this case not enough to justify the effort.
Is lapping/truing the reciever face a good idea? Or bad/waste of time when assembling an AR with a quality upper? I never fail to lap the rec. face no matter the brand name. If you don't have a rec. lap let me know....you can borrow mine!

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Andy-

Q1- any hardened solid pin will work. I usually make one out of a drill bit. Be careful......

Q2-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26CxrDzpfkk&list=PLRNgjwKiAAEAHJ-ycE-klyc1cGWjnAaIc&index=127

Q3-I have the equipment to lap the barrel to the upper. There is another Smythbusters video on lapping the upper receiver to barrel but I can't find it. It pretty much has the same conclusion of the Q2 video.

Latest posts

Top Bottom