CWD in deer herds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So June and July our first and second cases show up in western Oklahoma. Was it the lack of rainfall and why 2023? Your thoughts if this was a one off or here forever?

Anything we can do to help?

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this is just a rare occurrence and nothing that will spread. CWD and that other new deer disease (can’t remember what it is called) would be devastating to our herds.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This happend just a couple miles from a friend of mine. Deer density is among one of the lowest in the state, like really really low. He's an avid deer hunter and has lived there his whole life and deer numbers there just historically low. There are a few eyebrows being raised and some questions being raised for sure. "If deer have it here, then the whole state should have it, it doesn't make sense whatsoever" he said.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have ZERO evidence or research on it but I wonder if feeders are a link to CWD. Think about it, deer poop and pee on the food they eat. Throw in the fact corn is not an easily digestible item for deer. Could that have something to do with it?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have ZERO evidence or research on it but I wonder if feeders are a link to CWD. Think about it, deer poop and pee on the food they eat. Throw in the fact corn is not an easily digestible item for deer. Could that have something to do with it?
You have a point...depending on the feed. How did mad cow disease spread in many places? Through the feed. They were using animal material (namely leftover ground up sheep including brain material) in the production of the cattle and caprine/ovine feeds.
CWD is a similar disease.
Check feed and see if it has animal byproduct (which means it has leftover ground up meat animal material in it).

Latest posts

Top Bottom