CZ-52 opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have read a little about these 7.62x25 pistols and thought about breaking down and buying one for the novelty(for lack of a better word) and thought I would post and get some opinions.
Purchase would serve no real purpose other than I can. And I guess because surplus ammo is pretty darn cheap.

Read somewhere where the recoil on this round as well as muzzle blast kind of takes the fun out of shooting it.

OPINIONS?

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have one, but would love to find one for a reasonable price. I do have a CZ-82, which is really well built and shoots as straight as you could want. A lot more gun than you would expect for the money. I've heard good things about the 52 as well.

-S

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't the most comfortable to shoot because the grip area has some sharp edges. I really don't think the recoil is that bad otherwise. You can find 9mm barrels for them which is pretty cool in my opinion. You've might have also read that the firing pins are a weak point but you can find upgraded firing pins to replace the factory one if it ever breaks. I'd say for the novelty go for it. The 7.62x25 packs some punch but the surplus ammo is mostly corrosive. So just remember to clean it well after shooing.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fun to shoot and ammo is cheap and surplus. Pretty powerful load. Also firing pins are kinda fragile and need to be replaced w/ hardened steel ones.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Since posting earlier, I read some info on the firing pins. Sounds like for just a "fun gun" if you will, they would be pretty neat to have with a spare(or new) firing pin.

How does the CZ52 compare to the Makarov TT-33(I think) in the 7.62x25. From what I saw this afternoon reading the Makarov version is quite a bit pricier....

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 52 is great to shoot as a fun gun. The recoil is stout but not unreasonable if your use to shooting big calibre's. If .380 is the only thing you've ever shot you won't be happy. The fun factor is the 2 ft of fire that comes out the end of the muzzle. I'm exagerating but it is impressive. The ammo is cheap but remember it is corosive so you have to clean up the pistol after shooting. The firing pins will break if you dry fire it, but they are readily avaiable on the after market and there is a competition version that is bullet proof. DO NOT trust the decocker. I was luck and got one the works but still don't use it. Beyond that it is a typical commie gun, ugly utilitarian, and cheap to buy.

kickface

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pros
+powerful ammo
+big fire ball
+cheap ammo

The cons
-uncomfortable to shoot
-ammo is corrosive
-8 round mag max

The last cz52 I had I bought refinished like new for $150 and was ok for a while but wasn't all the fun to shoot so I sold it soon after. If you can find one cheap in the $150-175 range you might want to give it a try, but it seems that most people are trying to got $250+ for beat up used ones, which is in my opinion ridiculous.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Since posting earlier, I read some info on the firing pins. Sounds like for just a "fun gun" if you will, they would be pretty neat to have with a spare(or new) firing pin.

How does the CZ52 compare to the Makarov TT-33(I think) in the 7.62x25. From what I saw this afternoon reading the Makarov version is quite a bit pricier....

the CZ-52 and the Tokarev operate on two completely different systems, the CZ-52 uses a roller locking system like the MG-42, i believe the tokarev uses blowback if i'm not mistaken

The pros
+powerful ammo
+big fire ball
+cheap ammo

The cons
-uncomfortable to shoot
-ammo is corrosive
-8 round mag max

The last cz52 I had I bought refinished like new for $150 and was ok for a while but wasn't all the fun to shoot so I sold it soon after. If you can find one cheap in the $150-175 range you might want to give it a try, but it seems that most people are trying to got $250+ for beat up used ones, which is in my opinion ridiculous.

The CZ-52's have dried up on the surplus market but yet $250+ for a CZ-52 is ridiculous. I wouldnt pay more than $175 for one

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found the CZ52 uncomfortable to shoot, with the edge of the trigger scraping my finger when recoiling (also check the decocking mechanism, some are worn and will allow the gun to fire). The Tokarev TT-33 was much more fun with the same cartridge. The Makarov uses the lighter 9x18 cartridge, with less recoil and muzzle blast.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tokarev, not Makarov. Tok uses similar round, not as stout as the 52. Makarov 9x18 replaced the Tok.

CZ 52 works okay if you have big hands. Recoil? It's a .32 fer god's sake. No kick to speak of, but lots of muzzle velocity. Noisy as hell, and will get you lots of space at the range. In the dark it does have a big flash.

Not all the ammo is corrosive, but the cheap stuff is.

Ugly, getting to be overpriced. Had one, hands are too small. Took a while to learn to shoot it. Too big for carry, just a range toy or a truck gun. Black has been rearsenaled, parkerized is original. Used to get them (four years ago) for under $100, but they are going for up to $300 now. I wouldn't.

I do have a Falco double rig for this gun, but it also fits my Star Modelo Super. So does the belt holster. Traded the 52 off some time back. Forged firing pins are good insurance. Parts otherwise are scarce. Typical milsurp problems. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom