CZ 75 9mm vs. RIA 1911 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am planning to pick up a 9mm within the next month or so and am wanting to do a little bit of IPDA or IPSC/USPSA with it later on. I've never shot an event and need tons of work so I figured this would be a good time to start and track my progression.

I have had polymer guns before and have nothing against them but want to get something that is all steel this go around. I pretty much had my mind made up on getting a CZ until I saw that RIA makes a tactical 9mm 1911 for $429.00. I have always wanted a 1911 but can't justify shooting pricey .45 for a range gun. I know the CZ will hold more rounds which is a big plus but I thought I'd see your opinions on these two firearms.

I know these 1911's are entry level guns but I have shot a few and was impressed with how they shot especially for the price.

Here are links to the guns in question

Rock Island
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TACA9MM.aspx

CZ SP01
http://www.impactguns.com/store/806703911526.html

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both of them have pretty good customer service as far as I have researched. I don't know how many aftermarket parts you can get for the RIA, but the CZ75 has lots of stuff, and you can get 32rd mags for the CZ, a 22 Trainer, etc. I don't know what fits the RIA 9mm.

If you do shoot comp with a CZ, be sure to take extra slide stops with you. 1911s have the linkage for the Browning action, but the CZ pattern does all that in a cutout on the barrel lug, it ends up putting a beating on the slide stop pin.

The 1911 is going to be easier to rack the slide on.
The CZ will probably be more reliable out of the box.

Just random stuff I could think of.
If I were in your position I'd probably pick whichever fit my hands better and then decide if I hate it or not.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on your division, you may be limited to 10 rounds in the mag either way.

I've never fired a 9mm 1911, but I own both 1911s in .45 and a CZ 75b (at least I did when I still believed in the private ownership of firearms. Now, I realize that the 2nd Amendment only conveyed a collective right to firearm ownership, so I promptly disposed of all of them....really).

When I had them, the CZ was a tack-driver with very soft recoil. The 1911 in 9mm would probably be the same, but remember, the CZ was designed around the 9mm cartridge, and I have read (for what its worth) that any 1911 in a chambering other than .45 is less reliable than the original.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot the RIA in .45 but not the CZ. I really like they way the CZ felt in my hand and will prob end up leaning in that direction. Although the RIA does seem like a nice entry level 1911 for the price. I know the best choice is to get both which will probably happen in the future.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RIA 2.5lbs
CZ75 SP-01 2.53lbs

Isn't the SP-01 an all-steel gun? I bet ZZNickel is referring to the plain 75 (alloy frame).

Tell me more about this slide-stop issue - I've put more than a few rounds through my P-01, but I haven't shot it nearly like my Sigs - its something I've wanted to start doing more of, but I'd like to know I can rely on my P-01 if I'm putting a few thousand rounds through it per 3-4 months period.