CZ 75 9mm vs. RIA 1911 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CZ would be my choice, iv never been impressed with RIA although for the money there good but if you want to compare it to certain ones as far as which one to buy its not that impressive (and i own one)...;)

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't the SP-01 an all-steel gun? I bet ZZNickel is referring to the plain 75 (alloy frame).

Tell me more about this slide-stop issue - I've put more than a few rounds through my P-01, but I haven't shot it nearly like my Sigs - its something I've wanted to start doing more of, but I'd like to know I can rely on my P-01 if I'm putting a few thousand rounds through it per 3-4 months period.

plain ol 75B weighs 2.48lbs IIRC.

I don't know how many rounds it takes to eat a slide stop, but everyone says that's the weak spot in the CZ, Witness, and even Sphinx design.
I read where one guy bought a CZ IPSC pistol and it came with a bag of 10 slide stops.
The IPSC ST comes with four slide stops (two do empty-lockback and two don't)

Either way, they're $35 and they take up almost no room in your range bag. It's worth it to tote at least one around.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah - $35 isn't much but a gun that won't function in the middle of shooting a bad-guy (due to a broken slide-stop) is sort of scary.

I dunno, I like to shoot my carry guns and have been guilty of barely doing that lately - I really don't want to make the CZ less reliable by shooting it more.

plain ol 75B weighs 2.48lbs IIRC.

I don't know how many rounds it takes to eat a slide stop, but everyone says that's the weak spot in the CZ, Witness, and even Sphinx design.
I read where one guy bought a CZ IPSC pistol and it came with a bag of 10 slide stops.
The IPSC ST comes with four slide stops (two do empty-lockback and two don't)

Either way, they're $35 and they take up almost no room in your range bag. It's worth it to tote at least one around.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a Dan Wesson PM-9 for a 9mm 1911 style gun. I also shoot a CZ-75. Different animals altogether - the 1911 is a strictly SA gun while the CZ-75 is TDA.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah - $35 isn't much but a gun that won't function in the middle of shooting a bad-guy (due to a broken slide-stop) is sort of scary.

I dunno, I like to shoot my carry guns and have been guilty of barely doing that lately - I really don't want to make the CZ less reliable by shooting it more.

Anything on a gun can break. Firing pin, extractor, ejector, mag follower, yadda yadda.
The reason why people even bother to bring the slide stop to the range is that it can be replaced in seconds. Almost everything else I mentioned above could send you home from the range.
On a glock you have a locking block with a pin there... both of those can wear out too, but again, you'll be going home from the range when they finally bite the dust.
On one of the forums I read, a guy has a stock CZ75B with over 18,000 rounds down it, mostly handloads w/ 124gr ~1300fps, and he just started on his 3rd slide stop.

Carrying the slide stop doesn't mean the CZ75B is unreliable. Where other pistols break and stay broken, you have the ability to do an extremely rapid swap on one of the most common parts.

Just my 2c.

ETA: If you really want to know more about the reliability, hit up the Brian Enos forums or CZforumsite. I'm just a keyboard jockey, they do real shooting.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all te input so far. The cz is looking awfully good and I am now starting to think about the stainless instead of the sp01. I figure I can always pick up the RIA later.