Dad wants a "rail" on his Browning .22 rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As some of you may be aware, my Father was recently thinking about selling his 1970's Belgium made Browning .22 semi auto rifle...

...I talked him into keeping it. :)

NOW he wants to "tacticool" it :idea:

No...not quite "Archangel" level tacticool...let me explain:

The rifle is used primarily at the Lake House for "nuisance animal" eradication. Most of the shooting takes place at night (I hope I didn't just admit to breaking some law). The target area where the "nuisance animals" are usually found has a flood light system installed and wired to a switch.

What my Father wants: Inexpensive red dot scope on pic/weaver rails and a laser pointer, possibly a light.

The rifle is drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I believe this was done at the factory. I don't have the dimensions on hand, but can get them if needed.

I have looked online, but can't seem to figure out what pic/weaver base will fit on that rifle. I'm also trying to figure out how to put a laser on the rifle without "taping" it on somewhere.

So what I need from Yall is suggestions on what parts I will need to "trick his Browning".

Dream big, dream crazy...Help me find the right base, suggest a decent inexpensive "red dot", and figure out how we also give him a laser (maybe one of those YHM or DD angle rails?).

Go nuts folks...Assuming he doesn't change his mind (again) I'll post pics of the final result.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell him to get a 10/22.

I have...

...he figures if he can make his browning do what he wants, it gives him more $$$ to play with for another air rifle, instead of spending it on the 10/22...and then "tricking" that 10/22 out.

Also, He's a Southpaw, so the 10/22 will spit brass at him, where the browning throws it down. There is also a sentimental attachment to the Browning.

He's newly retired and has a lot of time on his hands...I think he likes the idea of "projects".

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fathers Day is just around the corner, get him a Marlin 60 or 795. There is a $25 rebate on the 795 right now.

Again, I appreciate the suggestion (I have a Marlin 60 myself) but he's a Lefty. Both of those guns would kick brass in his face.

The link below is the model he has, notice that the brass is ejected down.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/imagepreview.asp?cat_id=021&type_id=001

What I'm trying to find is a Weaver/Pic base that will will mount to the existing tapped holes allowing him to mount a modern "red dot"...

...and Yes, I'm thinking about this as a Father's Day present for him (the base at least). So SHhhhhhh:chat::nono1:

...hopefully he wont find this therad. :uhh:

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he wants a red dot on it, a laser is not necessary or even desirable. You'd have to be sure that the red dot he got with that base was Weaver compatible. The specs for picatinny and weaver are a little different, and I don't remember exactly in which order things interchange. Even then, he'd have to get really creative to put a light on it, and he'd probably hate the setup.

As popular as the 10/22 is, I think there's a fair amount of lefties shooting one with no problems. ;)

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he wants a red dot on it, a laser is not necessary or even desirable.

I agree, but try telling that to my Father. I think he just likes the idea of putting a glowing dot on a furry pest :gun2:

The "tacti-cool" stuff is all new to him. He wanted to try a "red dot" scope but I had to explain to him that the red-dot scopes don't project a red dot onto the target...you only see the red dot when looking through the scope...that's when he decided he wanted a laser too. :hyper:

He's tasked me with figuring out how to make it happen. :grumble:

My :twocents: has been that if he wants red-dots, lasers and lights to put the Browning in the safe and either trick a 10/22 or get a Sig 522 or M&P 15-22 ...

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 10/22 doesnt shoot brass in your face and he will barely even notice it, TRUST ME! (for sure not while trying to look down a scope) WHat he may get every now and then is a hot brass on his elbo, but he won't mind too much.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weaver 60A is the number I came up with. Should be available at sportsworld & Dongs. I would see if they have it in stock to look at. its supposed to mount on barrel and extend back over receiver.

As far as the pic rail goes. I saw somewhere as an accessory for sks,ak,10/22
etc. A clamp on the barrel 3 or 4 rail acc block. Have absolutely no idea whose web site it was though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom