dallas traffic tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you cross the river, tune to 820 or 1080 on the AM for traffic reports. 35W not only adds miles, but SB into FW is always backed up once you pass the NASCAR track. Don't try 635 east due to the construction. I'm going that way this afternoon, headed to Temple,TX in the semi. I plan to time it to pass by the RR bridge and grassy knoll at about 7. Wave to Sam Houston as you pass his huge statue...

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always went to Houston down the Indian Nation Turnpike. We went through Paris, Mount Pleasant, Longview, Nacodoches, and Lufkin. It wasn't a bad trip that way and no Dallas traffic. It took about 9 hours going that way.

That works from Skiatook/Tulsa, but the OP is coming from OKC. It's quite a detour to start our driving due east on I-40. He's better going through DFW.

greyBeered

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Advice from someone living in Dallas:

Coming from OKC, take 35E to George Bush turnpike, take GB to 75 S, then straight down til 75 turns into 45.

It's a toll road, but when I was driving it with OK plates, I never got a bill.

But: GB jams up eastbound from 5p to 7p (and can be pretty miserable). Avoid it between 5p and 7p, and you should be OK.

Don't take 635E from 35 to 75. There's lots of construction.

Coming from Tulsa, take 68/75 South, and it's a straight shot down to 45.

Listen to the radio (1080, reports n the 8's (4:08, 4:18, etc)), and if there is a jam, stop and eat until it clears.

There are better places to eat on 75 before you get to 635 (lots and lots of good places). Once you get to 635, a lot of the good places start to thin out.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As with earlier posts, go I35 West. I used to go to Houston years ago, and because I was going to west side near Katie I traveled a route suggested by an old trucker who had to go west of Houston, and it was pretty good, got off of I35 at Waco and went on state hwys from there and came in on the west side. Just a thought, depending on which side of H you need to go. Just google maps as always and or what ever.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about it. Any route you take has the possibility of trouble. Going into Dallas in afternoon rush isn't that bad since it's all going North. On the South side, though, you'll have to deal with the flow.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get off the highway for a pit stop, don't run a yellow light. They will send you a picture of your vehicle and a close up of your tag and a ticket...so i have been told.

Latest posts

Top Bottom