Dang near messed in my drawers this evening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strange, the P99 is normally a very reliable gun. You may either have some crud in there impeding the firing pin, or else you might want to replace the firing pin spring. Wolffe Gun Springs normally ships a new firing pin spring with the order of a new recoil spring. I think that replacing them both regularly is cheap insurance so I do replace mine about every 3,000 rounds on pretty much any pistol I might need to use for self defense.

See www.gunsprings.com

Oh, and try "the pencil test" both before and after replacement; see the difference in how far it launches a pencil when pointed at a 45 degree angle. I shouldn't have to mention this but...make sure the gun is unloaded with no mag in it, and that the chamber is clear. Rack the slide as if you are going to dry fire it. Drop the eraser end of a pencil down the barrel from the muzzle end, and holding the gun pointed UP, pull the trigger, and see how the pencil is launched by the force of the firing pin striking it. I have heard of a guy, (who shall remain nameless here), who failed to clear the pistol properly first and yeah, he launched the pencil alrighty, he sure as hell did, he launched it right through the ceiling fan and into some stored boxes up in his attic somewhere.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Strange, the P99 is normally a very reliable gun. You may either have some crud in there impeding the firing pin, or else you might want to replace the firing pin spring. Wolffe Gun Springs normally ships a new firing pin spring with the order of a new recoil spring. I think that replacing them both regularly is cheap insurance so I do replace mine about every 3,000 rounds on pretty much any pistol I might need to use for self defense.

See www.gunsprings.com

Oh, and try "the pencil test" both before and after replacement; see the difference in how far it launches a pencil when pointed at a 45 degree angle. I shouldn't have to mention this but...make sure the gun is unloaded with no mag in it, and that the chamber is clear. Rack the slide as if you are going to dry fire it. Drop the eraser end of a pencil down the barrel from the muzzle end, and holding the gun pointed UP, pull the trigger, and see how the pencil is launched by the force of the firing pin striking it. I have heard of a guy, (who shall remain nameless here), who failed to clear the pistol properly first and yeah, he launched the pencil alrighty, he sure as hell did, he launched it right through the ceiling fan and into some stored boxes up in his attic somewhere.
So I'm guessing his primer strike passed? :sorry1:

OP, check to see that the firing pin channel is clean and dry. No oil in there, especially when cold.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hogs and Copperheads are related I think, both just sneak up on ya and scare the living crap out ya. Coming down the tree line from the bottoms this morning, Jake (my horse) saw the little bastard before I did and let me tell ya, he as having no copperhead in his life this morning. So after we slowed down and he relaxed, looked back and there were three or four hogs moving out of the exact same location, hope they saw each other in time...

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hogs and Copperheads are related I think, both just sneak up on ya and scare the living crap out ya. Coming down the tree line from the bottoms this morning, Jake (my horse) saw the little bastard before I did and let me tell ya, he as having no copperhead in his life this morning. So after we slowed down and he relaxed, looked back and there were three or four hogs moving out of the exact same location, hope they saw each other in time...

Lmao! Sorry I'm laughing. I had a little pony when I was a kid that would buck me off and THEN run away. My dad always said she knew what she was doing cuz if I was dumb enough to ride in brush (and I was) instead of open pasture (And I ask you, what fun is THAT when you are playing Cowboys and Indians with your 4 brothers and sisters??) then I had it coming. I think he loved my pony more than he loved me!

You make me miss riding. I'm not even sure I know which end of the horse "goes first" it's been so long.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come on down, Jen will get ya back in the 'ol saddle again.. And before you tell me all about your reasons you can't, you can.

Ya know, the biggest reason "I can't" is y'all would have to hogtie me, toss me in the truck (kicking and screaming -- and there'd probably be a little crying tossed in for good measure), and hit autopilot on the car to get me to go back home. :cry3: Grumpy won't even pet a horse. :cry3::cry3::cry3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom