Another power pole question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a pole-mounted light in my front yard, near the utility pole that services my property. It was there before I moved into the house years ago, and my neighbor said it’s been there as long as he can remember. The 4x4 post on which the light was mounted also had a breaker panel, with a single breaker on it for the light, and there was a sizable PVC conduit leading from the bottom of the box to the ground, along with a thick ground wire. The post was about 10’ tall, with what I found out was about 2’ buried in the ground.

Last fall, the post finally rotted through, and the pole went over, breaking the connection between the bottom of the panel and the PVC conduit. I could see a thick black wire - about as big around as my thumb - leading into the box. I carefully removed the dirt from around the rotted post, and I could see where the same wire led from the box toward the utility pole. I know the breaker in the panel controls the light socket, but I was wondering where the power came from, so I had my girlfriend start flipping breakers in both the panels in the house, about 150 yards away in the opposite direction, while I held the probes from a multimeter to the socket. None of the breakers in either house panel controlled the power to the pole-mounted light breaker box, so I called PSO to ask about the pole light, thinking they must have run the power from the utility pole through the light pole and then to the house. They checked my account and said there’s no such pole light listed.

I’d like to just get rid of the light and the breaker box since the light made it difficult for me to see anything in the yard beyond the reach of the light; should I pay an electrician to come out to see what the deal is, or keep after PSO to send someone?

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"while I held the probes from a multimeter to the socket"
Are you sure you had a good connection to the multimeter? Seems kinda hard to hold the leads to an Edison socket. That's if I'm picturing this correctly.
And why not just use a light bulb and watch it?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most "yard lights" are installed by the power company and tied to the transformer that feeds the home. Also typically mounted on the pole holding the transformer but I don't know your layout.
It's very common, and there is usually a $7-$12 charge on your bill for it.
Ours was a metal halide that kept getting dimmer. The city wouldn't come out to replace it so put in an order to have it removed, then installed my own LED yard light on one end of the barn that does a better job.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"while I held the probes from a multimeter to the socket"
Are you sure you had a good connection to the multimeter? Seems kinda hard to hold the leads to an Edison socket. That's if I'm picturing this correctly.
And why not just use a light bulb and watch it?

The socket broke when the pole came down, leaving behind just part of it. Wouldn’t hold a bulb after that. And I could see a constant voltage on the multimeter while I waited for the power to be cut. I should have worded that better.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most "yard lights" are installed by the power company and tied to the transformer that feeds the home. Also typically mounted on the pole holding the transformer but I don't know your layout.
It's very common, and there is usually a $7-$12 charge on your bill for it.
Ours was a metal halide that kept getting dimmer. The city wouldn't come out to replace it so put in an order to have it removed, then installed my own LED yard light on one end of the barn that does a better job.

Makes sense. Unfortunately, PSO claims there’s no such pole mounted light on my account, so a work order wouldn’t help. The light also is not mounted on the utility pole with the transformer, but on its own pole.

Given the hodgepodge wiring layout of my place, I’m not too keen on opening the panels. It looks like I’ll need to have an electrician come out and see what the deal is. Thanks for your advice, folks.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its hard to say without seeing the lay out but i would quess with it being on a 4x4 the to previous owner installed the light cause never heard of a power company using a 4x4 pole, when getting a electrican make sure they have the ability to trace a underground wire some do and some dont, if they do its as simple as hooking the equipment up to the wire and traceing it back to the power source. Or just grab a shovel and start digging along side of the wire till you get to the source or atleast see which way it is leading to.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not just repurpose it as an outdoor electrical box?

Replace the rotten pole with a new one, remove the old electrical stuff, and install an outdoor breaker box with outlets - and leave it.

Think something like an RV hookup.
Or a convenient electric source for a future patio.

...But yes, find the breakers that feed it. Verify breakers/wiring is up to code and sized appropriately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom