Dang the dangers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just saw another gun accident video of a older rifle blowing up in a guys face.
He was injured but survived. Makes me kinda nervous to think a simple reloading mistake
Can really seriously injure or kill. I double check everything but you still need
to make safety your number 1 priority.

They weren't sure if it was a messed up reload or a bad rework on an old 1930's rifle.
Most people thought it looked like a 6.5 Swede but weren't certain.

I have always wanted to pick up a 6 5 Swede but after that video I'm not certain that
I would know enough of what to look for in a purchase of an older gun so maybe I need
to just shelf that idea. Sometimes there might be a problem even experienced shooters
Might not see or overlook.

What do you think leads to more injuries? Old unsafe guns that should never be fired
or a mistake in reloading the ammo you shoot in older military style rifles? I would
think it would probably be a reloading error rather than unsafe rifles.

Be safe guys!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen people stick the wrong ammo into a gun 270 weatherby mag got a 270 Winchester stuck into it. not good.

I had an old 7MM mauser and it shot ok but my model 94 30-30 shot 2X more accurate than that gun.

I would want accuracy first.. I have had the old gun thing and it does not please me as much as a newer cheaper gun.
But I do have old shotguns dating back to the 1920's and those shoot awesome.. just can't get into the old rifle deal again after the 7 Mauser I had.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load and shoot the 6.5 swede, original brass is slightly larger at the base than the 30-06 family of brass. Making 6.5 swede brass from us manufactured 30-06 family brass leaves a few thousandths clearance in the chamber and that can lead to disaster. Most of my activity using the smaller based brass was before I was aware of the problem, but with lighter loads I haven't experienced any issues. Buying modern boxer primed reloadable 6.5 swede ammo is not difficult or expensive. That is the route I have taken for custom loads. Currently I am shooting up the stash of Swede 6.5 surplus ammo I bought some time back. Here is a link to the folks in Stillwater I buy from. http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/65x55-swedish Buying the Privi Partizan ammo is cheaper than buying new brass when I can find it. Buy the factory stuff and then reload it.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is pretty decently priced ammo. I see why you buy it. I have a friend that shoots
A 6.5 Swede also. Very accurate rifles. That's why I have been keeping an eye out for a decent
rifle. According to him, the better ones are few and far between now days unless you want to pay
an arm and a leg for one. What about milsurp ammo for the 6.5 Swede? Is there any around these days?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen any for a while, I do check the gun shows just in case someone might have some. I split a case of surplus ammo with a friend sometime back, he is the one who got me into shooting the swede. Very accurate rifle and ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom