Decent inexpensive rifle for deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sooner State Pawn has a good deer rifle at a good price posted here on Oklahoma Shooters with a price drop to $379. It is a Ted Williams Model 53 (Winchester Model 70) in .270, probably 70's vintage, with a Leupold VX-I scope. Out the door with a heck of deer rifle with a walnut stock at a good price.

Cedar Creek

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooner State Pawn has a good deer rifle at a good price posted here on Oklahoma Shooters with a price drop to $379. It is a Ted Williams Model 53 (Winchester Model 70) in .270, probably 70's vintage, with a Leupold VX-I scope. Out the door with a heck of deer rifle with a walnut stock at a good price.

Cedar Creek

Now, that's a good buy. If it's in decent shape, I would grab that one.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I think it's a good way to go. Unlike the starter rifle concept the good rifle/good scope combo has you set for life. I have to go to OKC this afternoon and I will keep chanting "hell no, hell no, hell no!" to keep myself from bringing home another one that I don't need.

:smack:

Cedar Creek

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I think it's a good way to go. Unlike the starter rifle concept the good rifle/good scope combo has you set for life. I have to go to OKC this afternoon and I will keep chanting "hell no, hell no, hell no!" to keep myself from bringing home another one that I don't need.

:smack:

Cedar Creek

And, I'll keep thinking, "do it," do it," "do it," just to help you out.

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own all three calibers. My go to is my 25-06. If you don't reload, I would go either 243 or 270. Cost and availability of factor ammo is better. Biggest thing with a deer rifle is to shot it a lot till it becomes second nature. As others said, it about shot placement more then the size of the bullet.

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Cedar Creek
That looks like pretty much what I'm looking for. I won't be able to check on it until Saturday, and see what my finances look like after I pay bills

sent from omicron persei 8.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am in need of a decent rifle for hunting deer, but I don't want to break the bank. I'm thinking something in .243, .270, or 25-06. What are you all's opinions? I've seen things like savage axis, ruger American, remington 770, etc. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

sent from omicron persei 8.

if one is truly only harvesting deer ... let's see one shot per deer ... about 6-8 shots per season to sight in your rifle .. costs for ammo for deer hunting has little to no relevance in terms of choosing caliber.

that said .. one of the lowest total costs for a good deer rifle/ammo has to be Mosin-Nagant ... last one I purchased in mint condition cost about $125 including 500 rounds of ammo. cabellas has one for $169 right now ... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mosin-Nagant-Model-Rifle/710007.uts
don't think it would be real hard to find a better deal than above.

Latest posts

Top Bottom