Deciding on rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Rifle Would YOU Recommend?

• Sig Sauer 556xi

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Smith & Wesson M&P Sport

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Sig Sauer MCX

• Colt LE6920

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool. Leo is a good path to follow.
Once getting in and getting settled, its hard to get out. Your given command responsibilities over millions of dollars of equipment and/or personnel with the ultimate responsibility to maintain and protect.
When you get out, employers for the most part don't recognize what level of responsibility you just left, and you get lowballed for salary.
There are exceptions. I'd encourage one to look for those veteran owned/managed employers when you get out. They have walked in your shoes.
Enjoy your time, it is a rewarding experience and one that you will look back on fondly.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My current process is that for now, I want to buy an already built rifle. I leave for Basic Training in 6 month, and I'm really just looking for a solid rifle I can run drills with, take to the range for fun, etc. until I leave. I already do this a ton with my pistols and shotguns, just wanting to add another dimension.

Whenever I get out of basic and I have all of those paychecks I didn't use while I was in training, I'm planning to start building one from the ground up.
Then I'd go with the Colt 6920.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just dont think Colt has quite the quality they used to. Maybe they do, maybe they dont. I have seen a few Colts lately that made me wonder. One was horrible. But, maybe I have just seen the few rare ones. And I like the company.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you're talking about customizing, I'd also recommend building your own... you are going to take off enough parts and have leftovers once you decide to swap out your stock, your forearm, maybe front sight post, etc.

But if you're dead-set on a factory-built rifle, I'd probably go with the S&W, because it's a good quality item, much less expensive and don't have as much invested in those parts you're going to end up removing. Just my $0.02.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would look into a ruger AR 556. I have one and it is great. It is hard to beat for the price. Has a 1x8 chf barrel. And come with a flip up rear sight and milspec buffer tube. The barrels are very accurate and dependable. Also has an extended trigger guard unlike most rifles in that category. I had an old colt with the monolithic rail and love it. But that was before they went down hill. They just don't have the quality they used to.

ChristFollower

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with others telling you to build your own AR. One thing I would do is get a ghost under. That way if that fat lady in the pant suit somehow weasels her way into the oval office, she won't be able to take it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom