deer eat apples?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reading all of these posts about deer liking or not liking apples justifies my point in many threads before that what works in one area, will not work in another.
I've seen posts that deer won't touch them, to posts that they eat them like candy.
I've experienced the same with attractants like deer Cocain and some of the other stuff.
In my food plots, the deer don't like all of the exotic food plots seed that can be bought, as they live in an agriculteral area and prefer what is grown in the area.
I've tried salt blocks, and had some seasoned with peanut butter, molasses, and what ever, and it doesn't work.
Done the mineral block along with the salt blocks in the spring when they need minerals to produce bigger racks...still a no go.

Dr Tad put out some good info about food plots and where the big bucks will be around food plots. "Normally" they won't come to a food plot until after dark unless its rut.
Then they are stupid and can be seen any time of the day.
Rut, I'm in the stand from daylight to dark.
My three biggest bucks have been taken around noon or just after. Proof is in the pic of the big buck.
The pic of that big buck was taken on a 22 acre wooded area in the middle of a section. Big bucks do come to small areas. He was there checking on does during the rut, and has never been seen since, and there are not many hunters in this area.
Poachers? Don't know.
I guess the long story needs to be made short.
Try everything you can in your area, and do what works.:thumbup3:

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reading all of these posts about deer liking or not liking apples justifies my point in many threads before that what works in one area, will not work in another.
I've seen posts that deer won't touch them, to posts that they eat them like candy.
I've experienced the same with attractants like deer Cocain and some of the other stuff.
In my food plots, the deer don't like all of the exotic food plots seed that can be bought, as they live in an agriculteral area and prefer what is grown in the area.
I've tried salt blocks, and had some seasoned with peanut butter, molasses, and what ever, and it doesn't work.
Done the mineral block along with the salt blocks in the spring when they need minerals to produce bigger racks...still a no go.

Dr Tad put out some good info about food plots and where the big bucks will be around food plots. "Normally" they won't come to a food plot until after dark unless its rut.
Then they are stupid and can be seen any time of the day.
Rut, I'm in the stand from daylight to dark.
My three biggest bucks have been taken around noon or just after. Proof is in the pic of the big buck.
The pic of that big buck was taken on a 22 acre wooded area in the middle of a section. Big bucks do come to small areas. He was there checking on does during the rut, and has never been seen since, and there are not many hunters in this area.
Poachers? Don't know.
I guess the long story needs to be made short.
Try everything you can in your area, and do what works.:thumbup3:

Good post. Heck, one dog may eat anything where another will only touch a steak. I agree that not all deer are alike or have the same tastes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fertilize my persimmon trees. No one knows except me.....and the deer:woohoo1:

I have 20 or so persimmons in my front yard. Its amazing what eats them.
We see everything from our dogs, coyotes, deer, possum, & coons.
Just on the other side of the road there are sand plums. I drive by it every day more than once. The bushes are loaded with plums, but before they get ripe, something eats them. I need to find something to put over them, and yet let in the light.

bigelk76

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an apple tree in my backyard and I gather the apples and take them out to my stand. The deer seem to love them. The apples are not natural to deer around here, but they eat them right up. Corn is not grown my area but the deer love it when I use it in my feeder. So I don't think it has be natural for the deer to like it.

Here is the porcupine eating apples.

ai264.photobucket.com_albums_ii200_bigelk76_porkypine_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom