Degreasing threads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys use to degrease threads on a barrel before applying threadlock?
I'm about to rockset a few things on and figured I'd see what the class thinks.

that depends on what type thread locker you plan on using. blue or medium strength is what most applications require. don't use red unless you don't plan on ever removing it again. to get off it's probably gone to require heat.

blue is not as critical getting dead clean as red since it's intended on coming off again. goal is to use a solvent that leaves little to no residuals.
cleanest is acetone, next would be alcohol. carb cleaner is petty darn clean. brake cleaners are iffy depending on what type. some are pretty clean, some leave loads of junk.

best to stay away from chlorinated solvents.

Last edited:

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing is, heat is used to remove threadlocker. If you are using a suppressor, guess what? They get HOT. Be sure and check your muzzle device on a regular basis to make sure it is still tight.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that depends on what type thread locker you plan on using. blue or medium strength is what most applications require. don't use red unless you don't plan on ever removing it again. to get off it's probably gone to require heat.

blue is not as critical getting dead clean as red since it's intended on coming off again. goal is to use a solvent that leaves little to no residuals.
cleanest is acetone, next would be alcohol. carb cleaner is petty darn clean. brake cleaners are iffy depending on what type. some are pretty clean, some leave loads of junk.

best to stay away from chlorinated solvents.
Scaredy cat

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
true .. years ago I worked in a plating shop .. exposed to some of the nastiest chemicals known to man on a daily basis. decreased most all parts in heated trichloroethane, some of the most violent acids, etc. etc. etc.

That trichloroethane stuff is what I think was illegally dumped in the water of Onslow Bay at Camp Lejeune, NC back in the late 70s...water I was regularly in while stationed there and training with 2nd Recon. I get a letter from the Govt every so often about the many medical problems caused by the stuff. I did a lot of swimming and stomping around in that nasty bay...hopes I don't come down with something funky because of it, like some kind of cancer or dain bramage.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my shirt tail unless it’s a go to town shirt. Then I’ll use my pant leg unless they are go to town pants. Then just use my pocket knife and a wad of leaves. For perfect results a lil tobacco spit should leave the threads gleaming.
Leaves can be used for a couple of things if you're in a bind... be careful which ones you use though.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That trichloroethane stuff is what I think was illegally dumped in the water of Onslow Bay at Camp Lejeune, NC back in the late 70s...water I was regularly in while stationed there and training with 2nd Recon. I get a letter from the Govt every so often about the many medical problems caused by the stuff. I did a lot of swimming and stomping around in that nasty bay...hopes I don't come down with something funky because of it, like some kind of cancer or dain bramage.

Ok, that explains several things @surjimmy and I were questioning about you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom