dennishoddy/Vancouver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis these are places cousin who lived there said to check out. Your pm box is full so I couldn't send it via pm.

Here are a few key attractions / thoughts on vacationing in Vancouver.

The main attraction to Vancouver during the summer months, in my mind, is that the days are long, cool and sunny blue skies surrounded by water and mountains. It is simply beautiful. They can't go wrong by just getting out and walking and enjoying anything that comes up.

It is well worth purchasing Frommer's or Fodor's travel guide for Vancouver and Vancouver island to help determine what to do and see and directions/maps to get there.

Vancouver is West Coast casual / laid back.

Parking is not easy, but public transportation is always available and reasonable - skytrain, aquabus, seabus, ferries, taxis...

Eat the fresh salmon and dungeness crab - everyday!

Vancouver:

Stanley Park (dont' miss it!) - forest on the West End of Vancouver. Carriage ride tour is good. Aquarium at front of Stanley Park is really nice and worth the time.

Granville Island - public market, entertainment, dining, shopping. Can drive but parking is limited or ride take the Aquabus (looks like a Fischer Price tugboat) across False Creek from Yaletown, Kitslano or other locations.

Canada Place (where cruise ships dock). Walk from Canada Place along Coal Harbor toward Stanley Park. Eat at any of the restaurants outdoors and enjoy the view. Walk in the opposite direction to Gastown and Chinatown.

North Shore (across Coal Harbor from Canada Place): Grouse Mountain; Capilano Suspension Bridge & Park

Check out the internet for festivals, outdoor theatre, and other special events. There is an international fireworks competition during the summer on English Bay (check internet for dates). Different county each night for 3 or 4 nights. Really extravagant display set to music. Can make a reservation to go out on boat to watch.

Not your typical Restaurant:

Vij's - gourmet Indian Food - really good!

Floata Seafood Restaurant (China Town) - go for dim sum (menu and prices are in Chinese - just point at the food you want when the dim sum carts come by.

Vancouver Island

Can take BC Ferries from Vancouver to different parts of the Island (drive your car onto the ferry and then can get out and walk around - watch for whales - or sit inside)

Victoria (at the South tip of the island)

Buchart Gardens - most gorgeous gardens I have ever seen - worth the trip

Whale watching tour - laws restrict how close a boat can get to pods of whales, but sometimes the whales come up to the boat

Just walking around the small area of Victoria is nice - can check out the artists work. A small version of Vancouver with all the tourist attractions.

MY FAVORITE is the Pacific Rim (west side of the island is FANTASTIC). A place for nature lovers.

Take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay (a few miles from West Vancouver on the highway to Whistler) to Nanaimo (Vancouver Island). From Nanaimo, drive west across the island to the Pacific Rim side - between Ucluelet and Tofino. The drive is beautiful - about 150 miles - and will go through Campbell River (not far from Nanaimo).

Tofino and Ucluelet are two of the few small towns along the coast. Rain Forest, coastline, beaches are gorgeous. There are lodges and resorts spread out along the coast line around Tofino. I stayed at Pacific Sands right on the beach and thought it was great.

Campbell River (Salmon capital of the world) is worth the time also. Take a tour of the river; it is fairly narrow and winds through mountains on the most beautiful water. Will see bears, seals and whales. If like to fish, this is the place to book a fishing boat to take you out. Lots of bald eagles.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Lone Wolf '49! (I emptied my PM box. Didn't realize it was full.)
This will help alot. We don't have any set schedule of what to do yet. Our plans are to get there, spend one night with advance reservations, and wing it from there.
My personal favorite from your list is the pacific rim, and the fishing possibilities. I'm going to take a fly rod, and spinning gear, plus book a fishing boat as was recomended. My wife is pretty much into the outdoor and nature experience as well.

Buchart Gardens are going to be a must-see. We've just heard so much good about it, that it has to be a stop.

Supposed to be the worlds largest fireworks show going on in the bay, so that will be good too.
Thanks again for the great information!

Mentioned the world class nude beach that is in the area, and caught a back hand across the chops, so probably won't be going there.:eek2:

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything lone wolf said is correct, I left in 88 so its been a long time but these all bring back memories. Yes wreck beach behind UBC is quite an attraction in the summer!! If you really like backpacking the west coast train on Vancouver Island is great & tough from what I from high school. It is a trip in itself, & you need to be in good shape

http://www.westcoasttrailbc.com/trail_guidebook_map.htm

There are tons of tourist info on the ferries & tourist centers you will have a good time, enjoy your stay EH!

Latest posts

Top Bottom