So sad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my fondest childhood memories is when my parents would load all us kids in the car, go thru Dairy Queen and buy us all a hotdog, then we would just ride around looking at Christmas decorations. Almost everyone decorated their house back then even if it was only a wreath on the front door.

Well tonight the wife and I went looking at Christmas lights and it was so disappointing. The vast majority of houses did not even have one of those cheap projector lights going. When we did see one, there was usually a few around it decorated making little island of Christmas cheer in a sea of bland. We had to drive down to Nickols Hills (sp) to see many homes decorated. They even had hay rides taking kids thru to see the lights. Most other places, dark and dreary.

I am glad I grew up when I did. Even though we did not have much money we still got to enjoy things that many modern kids miss out on. Oh and if you think kids nowadays would not enjoys seeing the lights, there is a business on south Santa Fe in Edmond that goes all out. We picked up some Arby's and set in the parking lot watching the little kids go nuts over the lights. Lots of parents bring their children and walk through the big display. You can see the excitement from the kids.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's not as many in my neighborhood as in previous years. However, there were a few that were up and going before Halloween......

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's not as many in my neighborhood as in previous years. However, there were a few that were up and going before Halloween......

I start putting mine up right after Halloween but do not turn them on until after Thanksgiving. That way I usually get decent weather and can take my time. It just saddens me to see the tradition fall by the wayside. The kids are the ones who lose out.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It tis sad, I will whole heartedly agree.. Loss of tradition increases with each passing year.. I too am glad to be gray haired now and would NOT wish to be any younger.. I often say I lived a life like Beaver cleaver, not a lot of $$ but full of quality..

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The municipal park in MWC always has a nice drive-thru display. I try to take my family at least once every year to see them.

Things are about the same down here in my neck of the woods too. Not near as many folks dress their houses up anymore, including myself. I should, but I'm just plum lazy. :grumble:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Xmas lights only live in places where there is still a neighborhood. Where people are, and still know their neighbors. Young people decorate inside, because they spent 99% of their time inside.

This seems to be very true. I was the first to move in on my block. Used to know almost everyone --- we even had seasonal block parties. I think that I'm the last of the originals and I know almost no one. Most won't even look up to wave or even just acknowledge you. It kinda feels weird to be alone in the midst of so many people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom