Describe your hunting lease/land

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well. We're out unless we want to pay to lease it. I have no experience leasing hunting land. I saw some info stating $6-10/acre as a going rate but I can't afford $6000-$10000 to hunt deer a couple of weekends a year. Does any one have experience leasing "per gun"?

Not sure you need nor will you find 1000 acres to lease. You may have better luck looking for a lease that is 1/8 - 1/4 section and one that you have access to year round. Go after 160 acres, pay a bit more per acre and ask for year round access so you can hunt all three deer seasons, Spring turkey, and Sept Dove seasons, etc. Go into it looking and wanting to manage the land for improved game numbers and quality. $1200 - $2000 for year round access to 160 +/- acres can be worth every penny if you are a die-hard hunter. Of course the more land the better but no reason you can't shoot quality game on far less that a section of land.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure you need nor will you find 1000 acres to lease. You may have better luck looking for a lease that is 1/8 - 1/4 section and one that you have access to year round. Go after 160 acres, pay a bit more per acre and ask for year round access so you can hunt all three deer seasons, Spring turkey, and Sept Dove seasons, etc. Go into it looking and wanting to manage the land for improved game numbers and quality. $1200 - $2000 for year round access to 160 +/- acres can be worth every penny if you are a die-hard hunter. Of course the more land the better but no reason you can't shoot quality game on far less that a section of land.
Thanks. Not looking to find another 1000 acres to hunt. Hoping to get guidance on what going rates are when paying for a lease on a "per gun" basis rather than a per acre basis to negotiate with our new land owner.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
IMO it"s not comparing apples to oranges when leasing in western OK vs eastern OK. Large tracts (600-2000a) are available most years out here, not so much in eastern OK. Several factors influence price out here. $6-$20 depending on location and size. Just from my general knowledge of that area 1mathom1, I would guess in the $8-$12 range. Hopefully lower since you have some history there for the last 3 decades.

These are going to influence your price out here:
-proximity to a river
-proximity to the KS line
-size
-trees
-guides lease land all over NW OK, I know of a couple of guides that lease over 100,000a between OK, TX, KS, most of it in OK.
-hunting shows on the outdoor channel, they hunt on property or use guides out here
-It doesn't take long for word to spread that Joe gets $10a, and Matt's only been charging $5.......................
-anything on the river from Waynoka thru Freedom and NW of there are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO it"s not comparing apples to oranges when leasing in western OK vs eastern OK. Large tracts (600-2000a) are available most years out here, not so much in eastern OK. Several factors influence price out here. $6-$20 depending on location and size. Just from my general knowledge of that area 1mathom1, I would guess in the $8-$12 range. Hopefully lower since you have some history there for the last 3 decades.

These are going to influence your price out here:
-proximity to a river
-proximity to the KS line
-size
-trees
-guides lease land all over NW OK, I know of a couple of guides that lease over 100,000a between OK, TX, KS, most of it in OK.
-hunting shows on the outdoor channel, they hunt on property or use guides out here
-It doesn't take long for word to spread that Joe gets $10a, and Matt's only been charging $5.......................
-anything on the river from Waynoka thru Freedom and NW of there are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Thanks. Yeah, it appears that neither the our history with the place nor the deal our new landowner got from our family member on the property are going to count for much. Hey. That's OK...it's his place now and he can do what he wants with it. I have no beef with it. We really loved the place and cared for it better than if it was our own. It was great while it lasted. Frankly, I don't think he'll even offer to lease to anyone else but that's small consolation.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, it appears that neither the our history with the place nor the deal our new landowner got from our family member on the property are going to count for much. Hey. That's OK...it's his place now and he can do what he wants with it. I have no beef with it. We really loved the place and cared for it better than if it was our own. It was great while it lasted. Frankly, I don't think he'll even offer to lease to anyone else but that's small consolation.

I see. Hope it works out for you. Are the new owners local?

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
8172fafe0224ee6def3ede3e0579e28d.jpg

Another new hunter got his first buck off the farm for the youth hunt. He was pretty excited.
Hunt was not as productive as we hoped but all had a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. Not looking to find another 1000 acres to hunt. Hoping to get guidance on what going rates are when paying for a lease on a "per gun" basis rather than a per acre basis to negotiate with our new land owner.
You say he probably wouldn't lease it to anyone else. Did he give you a price or did he just ask for you to make an offer. At this point it sounds like you should just make an offer of what you want to pay to lease it for the season.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I hunt 1100 continuous acres. Quartered into 1x.5 mile sections. Six solar ponds, a sixty acre lake, eight heated blinds, six big food plots, the rest in crp, and 1750 yrd shooting range. Not a single road through it. Better to own rather than lease.

Latest posts

Top Bottom