Dillon SDB wild variances in OAL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am fairly new to reloading.

I have been mostly loading 124 gr. FMJ Montana Gold bullets.

Yesterday, I decided to start loading 147 gr. FMJ Montana Gold bullets, Winchester cases, Federal small pistol primers with an OAL of 1.158.

I mixed loads last night with Titegroup powder. I made small batches with 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 grains of powder. I shot them today and liked the 3.3 the best. When I got home, I checked all the settings on the SDB and set to reloading some more.

I loaded 25 rounds and began running them through my caliper to double check. I was shocked! The lengths ran from 1.155 to 1.171!:faint:

I figured that I must have royally screwed something up - BTW there is no TV, radio, windows or people in my room with me. So, I checked and re-checked everything, and did adjust the seating stem.

I ran another batch of 25, being extra diligent about all my actions. I checked this batch through calipers also. Again, I had the same wild spread.

I checked all of the adjustments and then I then loaded a handful one at a time. The came out perfect (+/-0.02).

I then ran two batches of 4 through. All but one were larger than 1.162.

I gave up before my frustration got the better of me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Don

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No.

Could you tell me what I would be looking for. I'm sorry, but I really would have no clue.

To do so, would I just unscrew the thing until it came completely out?

Also, is there a lock nut/washer that it's supposed to have to keep it from backing out? It's not real loose but I can turn it with my fingers (usually) with a little effort.

Thanks again.

Sorry for being such a NOOB with some of this stuff.

Don

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AHHHH one of the proclivities of the progressive presses is the problem of setting up dies properly. First off, I bet you loaded the ones by hand, one at a time. Next bet is that you never set your seating die WHILE you were ALSO sizing a fired case...like it would be doing while loading progresivly. I would also bet that if you set your seating die while also sizing and flaring/powder dropping and crimping you will see your variance drop to a few thou. Try to keep everything the same, and set it while it is doing all the steps, like it would be in production. KurtM

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another trick with a progressive is to operate the handle with the same motion each and everytime.

We were all progressive press noobs once. I can remember the learning curve I had with my first one, a Dillon 300.

One thing to file back for reference is the need to check inside the seater die for lube build-up on the seater stem, when running cast bullets. Depending on the bullet, you may need to check every 100, or perhaps every 500.

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AHHHH one of the proclivities of the progressive presses is the problem of setting up dies properly. First off, I bet you loaded the ones by hand, one at a time. Next bet is that you never set your seating die WHILE you were ALSO sizing a fired case...like it would be doing while loading progresivly. I would also bet that if you set your seating die while also sizing and flaring/powder dropping and crimping you will see your variance drop to a few thou. Try to keep everything the same, and set it while it is doing all the steps, like it would be in production. KurtM

I will try this and see what it gets me.

I set up for loading the 124 the same way I set up for the 147. However, the 124 stayed precise and the 147 strays.

If you set it up like you were loading it, are you just going to end up with a lot of loaded cartridges that need to be dismantled when you get the depth where you want it? Not being a smarta**, just trying to make sure I'm on your page of music.

Thanks.

Don

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another trick with a progressive is to operate the handle with the same motion each and everytime.

We were all progressive press noobs once. I can remember the learning curve I had with my first one, a Dillon 300.

One thing to file back for reference is the need to check inside the seater die for lube build-up on the seater stem, when running cast bullets. Depending on the bullet, you may need to check every 100, or perhaps every 500.

I have a good rhythm that I pay close attention to when I load. I have really found it keeps me on track.

I have yet to run any cast bullets yet. However, I did buy some the other day and after handling them can see where the goo could come from. I will check it just to make sure my brother hasn't had some he ran through there and did not tell me about.

Thanks!

Don

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

square deal b's come dialed in.. A good way to get one out of whack is to start adjusting it. Now as I saw someone else post, but want to add, is our tendency to get so excited about being able to make so much ammo is to start short stroking the handle. I have done it many times in my excitement and concentrating on the ammo and procedure. I think if you Don't adjust your dies to where there are problems, then simply pulling your handle all the way down and all the way up will fix your problem. It did mine, especially with 147gr bullets. Mine would stick in the barrel as they were too long. Don't be afraid to bottom out when pulling your handle. and the 147s have to have it. You will get speed in short order, once everything feels right. Do NOT adjust your dies!

bigbadge

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
square deal b's come dialed in.. A good way to get one out of whack is to start adjusting it. Now as I saw someone else post, but want to add, is our tendency to get so excited about being able to make so much ammo is to start short stroking the handle. I have done it many times in my excitement and concentrating on the ammo and procedure. I think if you Don't adjust your dies to where there are problems, then simply pulling your handle all the way down and all the way up will fix your problem. It did mine, especially with 147gr bullets. Mine would stick in the barrel as they were too long. Don't be afraid to bottom out when pulling your handle. and the 147s have to have it. You will get speed in short order, once everything feels right. Do NOT adjust your dies!

This is great advice, but, it was a returned gift from my brother who had it set up for 115 gr. 9mm.

Both of my 1911's have had barrel work/replacement and need to shoot at least 124 gr., but preferably 147gr.

It is also very disheartening. I just had a friend give me 4000 125 gr. LRN and I still have about 700 124 gr. FMJ from Montana Gold left over!:cry3:

I guess I'm so frustrated because making the switch to 124's went smooth and easy, but going to 147's has been cr*ptacular.

I will check the ideas that I have been given in a day or two - work will have me busy until mid-week or so.

Thanks for all the input. The willing, open and honest folks of this board make it all worth while.

Don

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you MUST adjust the seating die for OAL. I agree that you should leave the others alone, but OAL changes depending on the bullet you are using. Right? I'm new to reloading too and this is the only die I've touched on my SDB.

B

Latest posts

Top Bottom