Dillon SDB wild variances in OAL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will learn the "feel" of the SDB after you practice a bit. It is like golf and shooting. You have to get in the habit of doing the same motions, the SAME way, EVERY time.

As said above, make sure you push the handle All the way down. Mine makes a characteristic noise (and feel!) when the handle bottoms out so I know have done it correctly. You can also "feel" the primer being seated on the upstroke. I can tell what brand of primers Im loading by the "feel" of the final part of the upstroke.

Many people have the wrong impression about progressive presses and that they are just "Pull and go" machines that crank out a lot of bullets.

I would argue that you have to be even more careful, and more aware of what you are doing with a progressive than with a single stage.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you MUST adjust the seating die for OAL. I agree that you should leave the others alone, but OAL changes depending on the bullet you are using. Right? I'm new to reloading too and this is the only die I've touched on my SDB.

B

if you are loading 124gr round nose bullets then your machine should be set for it when it came to your door. Even when I bumped up to the 147gr's it was within spec and they are kind of a truncated shape up top. Only thing that would be wrong is my hollow points and I think you flip something in the die, but never ran many of those so don't actually remember. You situation may be different, but this is my experiance and how mine was adjusted from the factory. Further, in My opinion, you can call dillon and ask them what to do and they will be more than happy to help. Greatest service in the world you will find. They don't care if the machines is bought used or new, they just send what you need and will talk you through it all on the phone. Good stuff, and maybe safer than just all our opinions. lol

I do know how that feels. I purchased about 4000 147gr lead bullets and started the run. Went to test a mag full and it locked up. Meaured and sure enough...way too long. ran a couple more, same thing.. po'd to say the least, thinking bullets were out of spec. Sold off 3000 of them disclosing this. left them on the shelf, came back a couple of weeks later and tried them in slow motion and saw what i had done. Didn't bottom out the handle. Those 147gr bullets have to be cause the is so much mass to jam down in the case. I bet it will work, try it. btw, those over 3.5gr of unique and a winchester primer makes a very soft shooting round. Brass falls at your feet, good stuff, very enjoyable to shoot.

my press did not particularily like cci primers, they work but sometimes would slow you down as they seem to be bigger than a winchester. Dillon doesn't recommend them for the same reason. The reloading section of other "glock" related board has a wealth of info also. As well as most powder mfg's have good reloading data also.. Now to find more unique..aargh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom