DIY Air Conditioning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My co-worker breeds and shows rabbits. She has close to 100 in a barn. Last summer her cooling unit went out so she used what she called a "Mexican Air Conditioner" to keep her rabbits cool. She used two ice chests and a couple squirrel cage fans and it worked to keep the barn cooled down to the lower 80s she said. Definitely not a permanent replacement for a proper A/C, but seems to work great temporarily or for, like mentioned above, maybe backyard camping or working in a garage.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My co-worker breeds and shows rabbits. She has close to 100 in a barn. Last summer her cooling unit went out so she used what she called a "Mexican Air Conditioner" to keep her rabbits cool. She used two ice chests and a couple squirrel cage fans and it worked to keep the barn cooled down to the lower 80s she said. Definitely not a permanent replacement for a proper A/C, but seems to work great temporarily or for, like mentioned above, maybe backyard camping or working in a garage.

"Mexican Air Conditioner" .....OH ??,,,did she have someone come put it in for her??
Someone from a ":warmer" climate??

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another huge money saver some forget about is things plugged in that are not being used.
My cousin Carla lives in North Richland Hills TX. She has 3 girls and a husband and a $250-$400 electric bill.

She seen this deal on 60 minutes or something about things plugged in and turned off use electricity.
So she gave it a try Unplugged all things when not in use..saved over 100 bucks a month!

I do it ..My son got his meter out and started checking things..His old microwave was pulling the most.
Said it was like 8 amps or something just sitting there.
I have a meter but have not checked things at rest.. I just unplug stuff.
Our summer bill runs less than 140.. we are gas heat and gas water and gas dryer.
59 was last months bill.
I was welding exhaust and battery tray on my 57.. usually 30-40 this time of year.
over 2000sf home.
Low E windows lot's of insulation. Knee deep!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im in with the... you'd be better of spending your money on insulation and/or running a single window air instead of cooling the entire house crowd

For a small enclosed space that does not have cold air ( classic car, tractor, plane) I'm really digging Aviators cooler. The best part is that it would remove humidity from the space.

Aviator41, What about adding a wire dish drying rack at the bottom ensuring a steady supply of water to the pump?

Thats a good idea, my system does something similar. The grey box in the image represents an intake screen, it's a cylindrical screen made of stainless wire that ensures anything that can pass through it will pass through the heat exchanger. It's attached to the pump with a stainless hose clamp and does exactly what you have in mind. cylindrical ice works better than square ice, larger ice works better than smaller ice. It tends to last longer without sacrificing effeciency.

All of my testing was done in the garage, just to see what cfm and flow rate worked best. It was a standard 2 car garage, made zero difference in temperature of the garage. There's just not enough cooling power.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A small swamp cooler would be the best solution beyond a window unit. I put a window AC unit in the wall of my garage to keep it cool, and it works great. I have a large 1600 sq capacity AC unit in my shop.

I had a Port-a-cool unit for my machine room.

Latest posts

Top Bottom