Do You Have SHTF Plan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillShot

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No Joke!

I actually have baby wipes and diapers in my gun safe. My wife doesn't like to hear any kind of survival talk so I keep some of my preps out of sight and out of mind.

Ammo = Gold at least in the short term. You can't eat gold and it has no real value when you are worried about where your next meal is coming from or not getting shot.

I’m not arguing the historical value of Gold, only that Water, Food, Shelter, Defense, Mobility, Communications and many other things become far more important than money.

Red beans and rice. Anyone can buy enough to get by for a long, long time so if you don't at least have that in the pantry shame on you. Especially if you have children.

I would add that if you buy rice in bulk, Nam Hai Vietnamese market in Tulsa carries the huge U.N. style sacks at less than half of what you would pay anywhere else in town.

The main part is keeping current responsibilities and realities in perspective with what you hope will never happen. I don’t sit around all day planning my auto insurance needs but I don’t forget to pay the bill either.

Thanks for the input and the tip on the Vietnamese market here in Tulsa. I'll definitely check that out this weekend.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been considering the purchase of 50lb bags of rice, beans, etc. Stuff that will provide a cheap meal and will last for weeks at a time. I think an economic meltdown is much closer than many want to believe and when it happens, people will become desperate and they'll resort to whatever they need to do in order to feed their families.

This "might" be a good idea ... IF you eat what you store and rotate your stock AND IF you store it properly. I know one person who just recently learned that lesson the hard way. He had to throw out several hundred dollars worth of food because 1. they didn't use what they stored and 2. they didn't store it properly to start with.

I wish I had a nickel (1942-45 War nickels only please) for everytime I have heard someone say "the end is near" in my lifetime ... I would be a very wealthy woman now.

Not saying you shouldn't prepare, just saying you shouldn't let it consume your entire existence ...

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing.

There are only a few guaranteed things in life:
1. Death
2. Taxes

and......

3. Every couple of months a new SHTF thread will pop up on OSA. It will never end.

Just because a person is paranoid does not mean that someone is not really after them. SDHTF regularly, we just haven't had our portion in a long time. :wave:

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try and keep at least 10 days or so of rice in my house. It takes a while to go bad, it's a cheap/fast meal for busy days, and easily prepared or transported.

I keep as near a full tank of gas as I can, which is easy since I don't drive much. I've got a cute little Savage .22lr and it's a cinch to keep 1000 rounds stocked for it. Between my Glocks, my .22lr, and my AR (not ideal for hunting, but it'd do the trick), I'm pretty confident of any firepower issues that may arise.

I through-hike, so I have pretty portable cooking gear and fuel, tent/bag/pad, a good water filter, iodine tablets for treatment, batteries/lights, dry food, etc..

Bug-out gear just happens to go along with one of my sports/hobbies. :shrug: And I was raised to keep at least a half-tank of gas at all times, a few gallons of water (hey, you're fine until some jackass digs into a water main and you lose water for 3 days while the city fixes it).

If for some crazy reason I had to relocate off-grid, I've at least got the stuff to get me there and established. My family has a meet-up plan at an old family house about 8 hours from where I am.

Latest posts

Top Bottom