Do you realize

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True that.
About 12 or so years ago, polecat creek was 1/2 mile west of one of the farms, circling to 3/4 miles North.
Heavy rains and flooding jammed up the creek bed with driftwood causing the creek to change flows. Water was coming across the neighbors field through our fence, then on to the south.
I went to town trying to find someone with a backhoe to break up the log jam.
Couldn’t get in there for several days with the flooding.
When it went down, polecat creek had a new stream bed right across that quarter cutting it in half.
Probably 100’ wide now and 20’ deep. Three landowners got their property cut in half.
In the photo you can see the old polecat creek that is wooded both sides.
The brown streak down the middle is the new polecat creek. It gets deeper and wider with every spring rainy season.

View attachment 207308
The same thing happened with my folks' place. Iron Ore creek was their north property line, and eventually it cut across one of the curves. Dad's brother owned the property on the other side, and he lost ownership of probably 2-3 acres (maybe more?) of good bottom land.

He wasn't too happy about it (and I don't blame him), but it wasn't Dad's fault. And Dad still let him use the part where it had been fenced on our side of the creek.

It happened before my time, but you could still see a shallow path where the old channel was.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom